Thread: Roll Bar Shopping for Big Cheese

Question Roll Bar Shopping for Big Cheese

With the SOA and axle swaps complete and Swampers on Big Cheese will soon be on the road. One major issue that remains to be addressed is a roll bar. I know a full cage offers way more protection but I just don't like the way they look or how they cramp the interior. I would like to have a 3" truck bed mount roll bar behind the cab (will tie it to the frame) but obviously no one makes one for a M715. Does anyone know where I can find a roll bar that will work?

Default roll bar

Trying to send some pics of my rollbar, never had any luck posting pics on this site. sorry, cant figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Trying to send some pics of my rollbar, never had any luck posting pics on this site. sorry, cant figure it out.
    Thanks for the reply Sparky. Send me an email with them and I will post them up for others to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    With the SOA and axle swaps complete and Swampers on Big Cheese will soon be on the road. One major issue that remains to be addressed is a roll bar. I know a full cage offers way more protection but I just don't like the way they look or how they cramp the interior. I would like to have a 3" truck bed mount roll bar behind the cab (will tie it to the frame) but obviously no one makes one for a M715. Does anyone know where I can find a roll bar that will work?
    if you buy an off the shelf bed mount rollbar, you have done nothing to add safety. those things are very thin walled and are not made for protection. if you are wanting to go that route i suggest you have a custom unit made out of appropriate material. odds are you wont find many people with the capability to bend 3" mechanical tubing, but 2" dies are pretty common and you could run a double tube set up.

i just have to throw this in too, if done well/right a full interior cage would be hard to notice and doesn't interfere with comfort much at all. with a slightly less obtrusive door bar or none at all mine would be all but unnoticable. it is also much better at handling the truck in a rollover
    Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    if you buy an off the shelf bed mount rollbar, you have done nothing to add safety. those things are very thin walled and are not made for protection. if you are wanting to go that route i suggest you have a custom unit made out of appropriate material. odds are you wont find many people with the capability to bend 3" mechanical tubing, but 2" dies are pretty common and you could run a double tube set up.

i just have to throw this in too, if done well/right a full interior cage would be hard to notice and doesn't interfere with comfort much at all. with a slightly less obtrusive door bar or none at all mine would be all but unnoticable. it is also much better at handling the truck in a rollover
    Ryan
    Ryan, not surprised about the modern roll bars but I don't think the same is true for the older stuff. My Scrambler has a stock 3" roll bar and I have seen what they look like after a roll. I don't disagree that a cage is better and I have a few pictures showing different options. Big Cheese will not be a trail rig and I would like to mount lights on the roll bar pointing forward and aft for trailer loading. Can't do that with a cage so I am going to need the roll bar even if I put in a cage. With the proportions of a lifted M715 on 42" tires 2" tubing just doesn't look right, double or not.

Default Exo Cage

Has any one done a bolt on Exo cage? I'm going to build some very stout side bars (rock sliders) for my truck and could add some plates to each corner and bolt on a outside cage. That way I could remove it for a stock look for pardes and shows. Bolt it back on for trail rides. I'd have to rig up some type of lift to get it off and on, but I want a gantry crane anyway.

Tom, spicergear, the previous owner of your truck put a roll bar made from 3" or 4" square stock behind the seats in the cab of his TTC truck. Just a hoop like is usually mounted in the bed but mounted in the cab instead. Kinda of like the ROPS on tractors and such.