Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surplus Tires

Default Surplus Tires

Ok, here's my first post, been reading on here for years. I've had my 715 for about 16 years but couldn't spend much time or money on it with kids and all, Kids are grown know!!!
    I need help with what size rim to use with some 37-12.50x16.5 hummer tires, should I use the stock back spacing?, Plan to get the rims from Marsh Wheels, Thanks!

Welcome aboard! Wow...San Juan Island, eh? Maybe we should hold our next Pacific Northwet [sic] FE gathering there!

16.5 x 10 ought to do you, but I haven't a clue what the backspacing might be. You're probably good with whatever Fisherman in Snohomish used. Do a search or send him a PM about it.
    -- Tim Taylor

Well, Fisherman's are 16 x 8. Here's his thread about it:

Les Schwab Mounted my New Tires/Wheels
    Last edited by Binford; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

And another thread: MRW Wheels

Finally! I tried posting that link in the previous thread about 8 times and it kept coming up as the Les Schwab link again. Oddest thing....

Working now though.
    -- Tim Taylor

Thanks! ordered a set of wheels from Marsh today 16.5x8.75, to go with a set of Goodyear hummer tires from ebay, can't wait! FE gathering in San Juan? Sweeet place but not much room to go wheeling any more, great weather in the summer, we get a lot less rain than 'down sound' around Seattle.

You're in the rainshadow of the Olympics, aren't you? Here in Kitsap County we get about 20 inches more rain per year than Seattle right across the Sound. Go figure....

What backspacing did you go with? I think that was more of an issue for Todd because of his front disc brake swap. Plus you have the extra 1/2" diameter on yours. Post pics when you get them.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    You're in the rainshadow of the Olympics, aren't you?
    Wouldn't the wind come from the west and across the San Juan Islands, as in across from the ocean. I've only been there once, but if I'm not mistaken, the Olympic Mountain Range is to the south? A rainshadow is always on the down wind side, as in the Front Range of CO is in a rainshadow of the Rocky Mountains, which are located west of the Front Range. Therefore, the San Juan Islands would not be in a rainshadow of the Olympics. I'm just being specific here in case any viewing member might be using the site for a geography tutorial.

Additionally, had I known the author was looking for 16.5" wheels, I've got a set of 16.5 x 9.75 from Stockton that I'd consider parting with, and Binford might have been kind enough to haul them back from the FE.

Yes we are in the rain shadow of the Olympics, most of the time the wind comes from the south, we get about 28" of rain a year, very little snow and about 50 days more sunshine a year than Seattle.
    Those Stockton wheels would have been great. Marsh wheels was very helpful and the price was good, 109 a wheel, went with a 4" backspace. Tires on ebay were $275 plus $100 shipping, about 75-80% tread.

Wow, that's a good price for tires. Marsh does well with their wheel pricing, as I'd be hard pressed to sell my used Stockton's for that money since I've got a lot more than $109 into them. Please post feedback on their wheels after you've had a chance to run them a while.

Lastly, there is a reason why I typically don't post after 10 p.m. or so, as my brain typically stops working. Especially after a few drinks out with friends. In an effort to be a wise guy, regardless of wind direction, I failed to recognize that San Juan Island is essentially land protected from the open Pacific Ocean to the north and west by Vancouver Island and to the south and southwest by the Olympic Mountains. That's a pretty neat area over there in the San Juan Islands.

Yes, the San Juan islands are really pretty!

Yeah, our weather generally runs in from the southwest, so anything northeast of the Olympics is in the "shadow."

Mason, are you going to try to attend the National FE in Colorado? We'll likely have one in the Tillamook State Forest before then too.
    -- Tim Taylor