Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Valve lash!

Default Crazy Valve lash!

I did my six month check-up and found the #1 cam lobe worn into a circle, two cylinders with no valve activity due to extreme valve lash, and rocker arm guides ate up by the lose rocker arms.

I have put about 500 miles on this truck since I bought it. I did not verify the lash when I bought the truck. I was under the impression that the lash was set just before I bought it. Is there an issue with the lock nuts backing off or tightening quickly? Has anyone replaced a rocker arm locking nut with two jam nuts?

I bought a cam for $140 (FYI - M.E. wanted $340)

Looking for a usable rocker arm guide plate and four rocker arms. Where do you get these parts? Engine is 100% stock.

Thanks,
    Justin

AB Linn sometimes has rocker arms for like $20 a set of 12 on Egag....real cheap. You can get a rocker arm plate from him too. Give him a call.
    I would assume either you didn't have oil to the top of the motor - bad oil line in back of motor or some idiot didn't know what they were doing when they set the lash.

Two cylinders were perfect, one was close and the rest was embarrassing! I think they didn't take time to ensure the lobe was in the down position when whoever set this rack.

The chain tension is now my biggest problem because I don't have access to the special tool shown in the maintenance manual.

Will call Linn in the morning! - Thanks

I have spare rockers and nuts...pm me if you want...they are used but in good shape.

I have not heard of problems with the rockers...they seem to be pretty rugged.

I would wonder about bad maintenance before you got it and the oil supply but not the rockers backing off unless someonegot in there and screwed them up...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

All you have to do is zip-tie the chain to the cam gear and then stick two small wooden wedges (one on each side of the cam gear) to keep the cam gear from dropping into the timing cover.
    I didn't use that factory tool when I replaced my head gasket a few years back.

Thanks for the Info!

M.E. has the guide plate for $38.

Went mud riding on 3 cylinders Saterday, I'ts running great on 5 cylinders now, I can't wait to have 6!

I have a good guide plate...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I couldn't resist any longer. Went to M.E. and installed NOS: cam, rockers, rocker pivots, guide plate, & lock nuts. They now have only one cam left!!

Two cam lobes were worn to nothing, not just one! I can't wait to go mud riding again!

If you wiped out that cam, you may want to drop your oil pan. There must be alot of metal shavings in there. Hopefully they are stuck in the gunk at the bottom of the pan or clogging the screen or caught in the oil filter. Otherwise, your motors gonna be toast!

The first thing I'd be worried about with wiped lobes is the metal that wore off and where its at in the engine. Did you find shavings in the engine head laying in there?

I wish I could say I screwed up this cam and this is how I did it......but last week was my first time to check & adjust the lash.

Great advice! I saw shavings from that guide plate being worn - the rockers trying to turn sideways. Saturday I'll do a compression test and get it on the lift to drop the pan and check the mains/journals as well.