The transformation has begun...
Post by binfordm715 on May 5, 2006, 11:21pm

Y'all remember this lovely passenger door, eh?

Well, here it is now:

With the coat of primer on it, I can see where it needs a little more sanding and perhaps a bit of Bondo. But it sure is nice to be past that nasty door!

Question for the painters out there, particularly MY (hopefully) painter, fisherman, about the primer I am using. Following your suggestion, fish, I'm just using rattle can primer, tackling the job part by part. I want to use a good primer, though, so I'm using the same stuff I used on my wheels. It's from Tacoma Screw (a name that didn't strike me as funny until I typed it on this forum! Now I can't stop laughing!) It's sort of like a Fastenal store.

Anyway, the paint is store-brand stuff. Seems very high quality. I love the way it shoots--very thick. I just want to make sure it's compatible with the Gillespie paint. Here's what the can reads:

Industrial High Solids Protective Coating, Maintenance & Repair Operations, Single Coat Coverage, Extreme conditions Protection, Corrosion resistant-weather, humidity, water, abrasion, and heat. Environmentally formulated, V.O.C. Compliant. Red Iron Oxide Primer. Catalog No. 663-104.

There's a laundry list of stuff that it contains, such as Acetone 67-54-1; Propane 74-98-6; Toluol 108-88-3....

I shot a little on something, let it dry about 2 hours, then shot Gillespie paint over it to see if it would blister or anything. After several hours it seems fine.

I just don't want to get the whole freakin' truck primered in this stuff only to find out it won't work with the Gillespie paint I just bought! Any sure way to know?

On another note, how does one rivet the new data plates to the backing plate? Does it take special rivets? Or will any ol' rivet work?

Also pulled the carb tonight. Sitting on my work bench waiting for me to give it some time with the rebuild kit Brandon was kind enugh to donate to the cause. Thanks, rpg!

Oh, and that hardtop is going on the For Sale board in just a few minutes.....