Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: warwick : diff covers ? and gear oil ?

Default fredrader :

Re: diff covers ? and gear oil ?
    Post by fredrader on May 25, 2006, 7:07pm

I'd like to see how bob pumps oil in it till the oil reaches the top of the fill hole ..Once the oil reaches the bottom of the fill hole if starts running back out..I just fill mine up till it starts running out and it's full..

Default warwick :

Post by warwick on May 25, 2006, 7:20pm

thanks guys... i miss the real zone.... especial sense i figured out how to search....

it has 6 pints in it now, and its alot better than what was in there.

i'll raise the passenger tire[the short side] and put the other .5 pints in

Quote:
    ....better grease the wheel bearings to be safe....

already taken care sir

Quote:
    ....Plus your differential will work for a surprisingly long time with even 1/2 the correct amount of oil inside....

point taken, you should've seen what came out the drian plug

Quote:
    OT: Warwick, nice avatar.. i just received that shirt in the mail!

socal do they look as good in person as they do on the web site? let me know if the sizes run true,

Default warwick :

Post by warwick on May 25, 2006, 7:41pm

i think i have to clear things up or defend myself here.

my reason for posting was the fill hole location, wasn't sure if i got them switched front to back.

anyway cary on......

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 25, 2006, 7:50pm

i,ve got commercial filler setups for semi trucks. as long as it up to the bottom of the fill hole its full. also you can screw a 90 degree pipe fitting in the fill hole point it up to fill it easyer. bet you didnt know that ! also you can attach a hose and fill it standing on your feet same with trans & t-case & FT. END .bob

Default treepusher :

Post by treepusher on May 26, 2006, 9:32pm

I greased my rear wheel bearings years ago when it was unheard of. I just didn't want to depend on oil dribbiling down the axle shafts. I got a lot of grief from people. I still think it's a good thing to do.

Warwick, very cool avatar! Socal 715, you have a Tee-shirt with this design? Where can I get that cool shirt?

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 26, 2006, 9:49pm

another thing i did was to drill a hole and tap threads in the hub between the bearings to fill the hub with oil. then used a female hex head plug . this is also helpful if you do fording as you can pull the plug to see if your hubs are full of water
    bob

Default robsgp :

Post by robsgp on May 27, 2006, 7:54pm

Is there a trick or special tool to get inside the rear hubs? The nuts came off pretty easy but a screwdriver and even a few taps with a chisel haven't budged the outer cover.

Default warwick :

Post by warwick on May 27, 2006, 8:58pm

to remove the rear axles take a hand sledge that will fit inside the studs. place it flat against the axle flange then hit it with another slegde hammer. two or three good smacks and it should pop loose.

if your good you can just smack it with a slegde in the center, but i ruined two studs doing it that way

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on May 29, 2006, 4:50pm

You have to hit it with the sledge to get the little cone shaped collets out of their death grip of the studs. Once they come loose, use pliers or a screw driver to get them off the studs. The axle should now pull on out.

By the way, if you still have oil in your rear end, elevate the side you are working on to keep oil from running on your shoes when you pull the axle out.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on May 29, 2006, 6:33pm

or just put a bucket below the axle to catch the drip. I really enjoyed taking the axles out. Something about using a BFH to remove parts is just too much fun.