SOLVED: Strange brake problem...
Post by bluesman2a on Sept 11, 2006, 12:50am

OK so I had me a ST-Range brake issue. My junk is parted together from several sources so it took me a while to track it down, but I nailed it shut tonight...

So here's what I got:
Corvette MC (great upgrade if you haven't done it).
Brake pedal assembly from an automatic waggie.
Stock push-rod.
ALL new line/fittings (took FOR-ever to bleed).
4 wheel disc brakes on CUCV axles.
38.5" Swampers

Problem:
1) no matter how much I bled, still had spongy pedal.
2) KNEW all the air was outta the system, no bubbles.
3) Took Mico-Lock (parking brake holder) outta system to keep things simple.

What I found:
1) The waggy pedal assembly has to be slotted to line up with the MC properly. If you don't, the push rod will bind and not work right.
2) Had shortened the stock push rod to deal with binding issue, but you gotta throw that out too, cause the hole is too big for the waggie pedal assembly's pin.
3) The push rod was too short now, so made new one using 7/16 nut drilled smooth inside with a 3/8 bolt welded to it.

Now here's the biggie!!!!
4) In the stock application the waggie assembly bolts to the bottom of the dash AND the firewall. That won't work with our dash so only bolted to firewall as interim solution. Noticed that the entire assembly was flexing when pedal was pushed. Thought it was odd based on how beefy the assembly is (bent/formed channel). So rigged up two rods (stock uses one on inboard side) to support the rear. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Between this and the slightly longer push-rod, I got a GREAT pedal feel. I can now lock it up any time I want to!!!

This was SO cool, I even treated my self to a trip outta the business park (sans hood) down to the gas station to fill up the tank for the first time since install!