Barymat bed liner
Post by binfordm715 on Sept 22, 2006, 11:38pm

As I mentioned before, I got a sample of Barymat in OD green such that is apparently installed in modern military vehicles these days. It comes in two weights. I put the lighter weight stuff in the bed of the truck, cutting it with a razor knife and scissors around the wheel wells.

I had to do it in two sheets, 1/3 up front and 2/3 in the back. The stuff is just laid in there. I can easily pull it out, though it is heavy enough to stay put while driving, particularly at the break-neck speeds these trucks are capable of...

The mat is sound-absorbing. I'm saving the heavy stuff for the cab, but I haven't gotten to that yet since it obviously requires quite a bit more planning and cutting. I'd like to try to get it laid in using one single piece, but may have to cut the driver's and passenger's footwells separately and doing a third piece over the transmission hump. It'll be good to try driving the truck more without any lining first to get a feel for how loud it is before I put the stuff in so I can tell what a difference it makes.

The bed needs a piece of thin plywood or something as an underlayment as you can still feel the corrugations through the mat. I think this stuff would be great for sleeping on when I have the canvas cargo cover later on. It is closed-cell foam backing with a urethane topping that looks like low-pile loop auto carpeting that has been coated in urethane. Quite cushy.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this up so you could see.

Any of you active-duty guys, do you recognize this stuff? Is it really found lining the floors in modern MVs?