Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Default Newbie Needs Help

Ok guys, I've been reading for awhile and I'm ready to get started. First, I have to confess that I've caught OD green fever. I'm searching for the perfect starter truck and have assembled a list of mods. This will not be a stock truck.

I may have found the truck. It has the stock winch still intact. Now for the mods.

-4BT
    -Spicer 3053A
    -NP205

I'm thinking I will run 36 or 37" humvee tires and wheels. Can I do this with M1008 Axles? I also want to run disc brakes. Will I need to have the wheels recentered?

Can I run the stock pto winch with the 3053A?

I think thats about it. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice? I think I already have the engine sourced, still looking for the t-case and tranny.

I want this to be a truck I can drive the roads and the trails. Can I hit 70mph with this setup?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get everything just right.

Thanks

glad to hear you have a truck and have the m 715 fever i think this is a great truck and hobby to have . as for your choice of mods sounds good the 4bt is a good chioce and many guys on here like it as for your trans im pretty sure it wont run your winch but i may be wrong , sure there is someone on here who will tell you for sure . the np 205 transfer case is a good choice but try to get the d version because it is a stronger unit . also the 1008 axles is a good choice and you can use the hummer rims that are recenterd . but these rims are only about 6 3/4 wide so if you want to run wider tires you are going to need wider rims also the hummer tires arent very good off road . hope this helps alitte and looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your truck and mods

As long as you are looking around for parts why not look for a NV4500. Has a PTO port (Maybe 2?) and is smaller than the Spicer - also you can use a regular GM clutch setup. By d 205 he means the Dodge unit - more splines on the yokes.
    You might want to look at the military XL, XML, XZL tires that seem to be so popular here. They last a long time, are relatively cheap and are 38.5" tall which looks great on a stock height truck.
    With the taller tires and OD you should be fine for 70mph and still be able to use it off road. Thats basically the setup that Lee used in that recovery video that was on here last week.
    Good luck!

Welcome to the OD madness.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

You can use the stock pto with the 3053A. I watched Barrman shifting his NV4500 at the FE- it appears much smoother than the spicer I have in my truck in the throw and also clutching. My spicer uses what is best described as a triple hinged z bar to the clutch with a 6.2. It may be different the 4Bt. It can be a workout. I also powershift as well.
    But- it is stout and I don't drive it every day. And it works, so I'm not changing it anytime in the forseeable future- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Mark,
    how sure are you about the stock m715 pto fitting the Duece transmission? I ask because I have neve had that confirmed or denied before

thanks
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If I'm not too fat after eating turkey, I'll crawl underneath my truck to take some pictures and email them to you. I have the bratton on the bumper, a pto handle on the trans hump, and it goes into the spicer not the t case. I have yet to use it, as the release handle on the winch doesn't work and I'm afraid I'm going to turtle the front end if I mess around with it. Remind me if I forget!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Mark,
    how sure are you about the stock m715 pto fitting the Duece transmission? I ask because I have neve had that confirmed or denied before

thanks
    I will check that out as well, as I have wondered the same thing. I have two deuce PTO's laying in the floor of the shop. No stock 715 transmissions though, but I can post up measurements. I wanted to mate up a deuce PTO with the 205 I am installing in my truck at some point.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    As long as you are looking around for parts why not look for a NV4500. Has a PTO port (Maybe 2?) and is smaller than the Spicer - also you can use a regular GM clutch setup. By d 205 he means the Dodge unit - more splines on the yokes.
    You might want to look at the military XL, XML, XZL tires that seem to be so popular here. They last a long time, are relatively cheap and are 38.5" tall which looks great on a stock height truck.
    With the taller tires and OD you should be fine for 70mph and still be able to use it off road. Thats basically the setup that Lee used in that recovery video that was on here last week.
    Good luck!
    I like the XZL's but I'm having trouble finding any for sale. Thats why I started looknig at the humvee tires. They're not as tall but the tread pattern seems similar and I can find them everywhere.

If anyone knows where I can find a set of XZL's please let me know. I can figure out the wheels later.

Also, I like the idea of the Spicer because it seems like it would be pretty bombproof in this truck. Maybe its overkill but I tend to lean that direction in just about everything I do.

I assumed that since the M35's ran winches that I would be able to do the same with the spicer in a 715. Am I wrong?