Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

Snakeater,
    I'm in Nashville if you need some extra (small) muscles on that fatefull day I could be persuaded to ramble out that way. I don't have a 715 yet and want to get some eyeball time on one and learn a bit about them firsthand.

welcome anytime. We will most likely start the teardown this weekend latest. I am on the trail of some parts that I will surely need, like a divorced np 205 transfer case and a shifter for the allison automatic transmission. Some kind of rubber isolating mounts for the engine frame connection. I also will need a new fuel tank sending unit I think. My fuel guage doesn't seem to work. I also want to figure out another place to mount the batteries so that i can get a little more room in the cab. I may fab. up a tool/storage box for the bed and hide them in there. Making my budget and needs list as we speak so I have a checkoff list
    COWBELL, you need more of it

didja get it done yet?

where's the pictures?

had to make a trip to the dentist today. Pretty much took me out of the game. Pain medicine is making me loopy and wife won't let me drive anywhere so I am grounded for a couple days. Most likely this weekend will be the start of the fireworks. I will post pics as soon as I have progress to report. Snakeater

I want to see .............
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

For you Luc............

The man.......

The legend

all I have right now. Snakeater

Now i can see why you call it "Blue" .... This will be a nice swap to follow !!!
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

just trying to follow in the footsteps of the master. Your truck is one of the reasons I am doing this swap. That and I have to have something to waste money on or my wife starts "liberating" it from me. Snakeater

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Man, that Cat is a lump!

I wanna see it between the frame rails.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Man, that Cat is a lump!

I wanna see it between the frame rails.

Yeah, that thing is huge. I'm trying to judge the length from the length of the transmission, and quite honestly, I can't see that engine fitting without major surgery to the firewall and radiator support. The height is also a lot more than I expected. It just doesn't look like it is anywhere near fitting in any dimension, and just a guess puts the harmonic balancer right behind the bumper.

Hope it works out for you, but my gut reaction is that you need to stretch the nose about a foot.

I could be wrong, and hope that I am, but I just don't see it fitting. I had expected something roughly the same size as a 6BT, but it looks much larger.