Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

that don't count it has three wheels
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Back to the real world.

After careful measurement this morning and some more careful measuring. The cat is 36" front to back without the fan on the front. If I cn figure out a way to tuck the radiator and fan into the core support the engine will fit without modification to the firewall. It will be tight as hell, but it will go in. I am going to a salvage yard today to look for a radiator with a trans. cooler built in that will fit the bill today. We shall see what we can find. I am also still short a np205 transfer case. If anyone has one that they are holding, I need it, I can't find one! This project will grind to a halt pretty quickly once the drivetrain arrives without it. so put your feelers out and run me one down. Snakeater

Quote Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
    Back to the real world.

After careful measurement this morning and some more careful measuring. The cat is 36" front to back without the fan on the front. If I cn figure out a way to tuck the radiator and fan into the core support the engine will fit without modification to the firewall. It will be tight as hell, but it will go in. I am going to a salvage yard today to look for a radiator with a trans. cooler built in that will fit the bill today. We shall see what we can find. I am also still short a np205 transfer case. If anyone has one that they are holding, I need it, I can't find one! This project will grind to a halt pretty quickly once the drivetrain arrives without it. so put your feelers out and run me one down. Snakeater

You can take this advice for what I paid for it, which is Zero, but I would find a radiator support from a V8 J-10, Wagoneer, or Cherokee, and locate an appropriate radiator for it. The difference is that the radiator opening is wider, and the radiator which fit are wider as well. You are putting a lot of engine in there, and it will need a lot of cooling. it would be foolish in the extreme, to not use the best components possible, since you have already committed to the engine. The wider radiator is a swap that has absolutely no negative compromises. Do it. Additionally, I would not cool the tranny with the radiator. It is a big commercial transmission, and it will be expensive to replace/repair, if you don't do the work yourself, so give it a fighting chance, and run a separate cooler, and filter for it.

Slow down a little. You are talking like you need this thing up and running next week. Take your time, and do things right. Your project will not grind to a halt without the T-case. You have about a million little things to iron out. You can mock up the location, using the NP200. it is essentially the same case, with a few small changes.

I guess what I am saying, is stop right there, and don't buy any more parts, til you have an idea what you need. You have been shotgunning the forum about advice on this axle or that, this engine and tranny or that, etc, for some time. You have seemingly settled on an engine and tranny, which is good. It is also enough for now. You do not, I repeat, do not, want to go spend a lot of money on parts that you may end up not using, so slow down. You are almost certainly going to have to replace your axles to get any highway speed out of that thing, so little details like passenger or drivers side drop will dictate what t-case to buy. Additionally, details like exhaust routing may well play a part, ie it might be best to run a drivers drop case, if the exhaust routes on the passengers side, or vice versa. Not a lot of room to snake a 3 or 4 inch exhaust inside the frame rail if the t-case is already taking up all the room.

Take a deep breath, and relax, and sit down with a pencil and paper, and start detailing what you want, what the obstacles are, and how best to avoid them.
    I'll try to find some drawings I have of the J-10 frame, which will help you scale things.

Porkchop has a divorced 205 with 32spline yokes for sale. (do i get a finders fee since I am keeping your project from grinding to a halt?)

I'm not in a hurry to get it done. Far from it actually. I am talking through the process to make sure that I have all my bases covered. I don't like loose ends. I won't be unprepared. It would be nice to have everything laying in the floor so that when I get start with the fabrication I don't have to stop until it is done. I bobbed a m-35a2 last year in three days. It went quickly because i already had a mental game plan, all the parts I needed, and knew what had to be done. When we got started we didn't stop, except when I had to repair a broken airline that was damaged in the reinstallation of the bed. Point is projects go quickly at my shop, I like to get things done. I will not compromise on quality of parts to make this swap happen quickly by any means. There are going to be loose ends with this project and that is what makes me crazy. I find it better to post ideas/thoughts here than have them floating around in my head. You are correct about the radiator and the trans cooler needing to be separated. However, I am going to use an independant cooler and the radiator trans. cooler if at all possible. I am simply concerned with space. I believe there is a radiator that already exists that will fit my needs, just have to find it. If I don't find it I will have it made. After a long discussion with a veteran caterpillar tech, I have concluded exactly what you said. It needs lots of cooling area to be effective. That is the reason for running the seperated system. I think that my stock core support is plenty large enough to contain the radiator that I am looking for. You can never have too much cooling surface area, I know this. I will use the largest radiator that will physically fit, then apply electric fans effectively to make it cool properly. I appreciate the ideas and opinions please keep them coming. I plan to document this build so that if someone else gets a wild hair they can follow in my footsteps. Snakeater

I thought the purpose of a forum was to bounce ideas around so that people who have more or better experience could help with the decision/application of said ideas. Didn't mean to "shotgun" the forum. I am highly motivated, can't help it. Hyper may be a better word. If I am offending anyone or stealing thunder from someone else than by all means I will digress. Thought this was the place for it. Snakeater

Well, Like I said, I just don't want to see you buy something you can not use. I have been messing around with these sort of projects for 30 years, and have learned that there are to rules that everyone will come up against.

1st, A plan will save time, money, sweat, blood, and tears.
    2nd, No matter how well you plan, there are going to be things you didn't account for.

The idea that you are concerned with cooling, as it relates to space, and then discounts the idea of using a wider cooler, just shows that you are in a hurry. Width, in your particular swap, only benefits. There is no downside, other than an invisible deviation from stock, for all but the most discerning observers. You have to buy a radiator, so get the biggest one you can. Hell you can probably pick up a radiator support for 75 bucks.

I'm going to quit preaching, but you are not planning. You are reacting.

My point about shotgunning was not meant to be an insult. It was meant to show a pattern, and that pattern is reaction, not planning. You ended up with a transmission that you thought was OD, when a simple check of the facts would have shown you otherwise. Now, you get to react to that decision, by running different axles.

There is no point in asking questions, if you don't take the time to listen to the answers. If you have a money tree, Then go ahead and start buying parts and put them in the corner.

You may or may not end up using them, as the thing progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
    Back to the real world.

I'm curious, when you say 36" for the engine, are you including the Flywheel adapter in that?