Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat restoration

Default Seat restoration

What have you all used for stock seat restorations? Mine are pretty worn out on the bottoms, but the backs are real nice. I could probably wire stitch the springs back to the outer frame and seal up the horsehair pad pretty nicely, but was wondering about other options for stock seats.

Has anyone used the foam cushions like they offer for MB/M38, etc? Do they hold up?

I'd probably go with Surplus City for the covers, I was very happy with the top I got from them. Just throwing new covers on won't do the trick.....

Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I bought a set of new repro canvas covers, but I can't recall where just yet.

Since my seats were just frames, I cut some 3/4" plywood to fit the bottoms and backs, then bought high-density foam in 3" thickness and used two stacked for the seat cushion and one for the back. Shaped the edges with an electric carving knife. I laced the covers on with parachute cord. They have worked great and are as comfortable as MV seat can be.........
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

What Randy said. I think I used a 4" high-density piece of foam for the passenger seat in mine. It's a LOT more comfortable than the driver's seat, which is still springs and horsehair. New canvas and new plywood bases if needed and you're golden, dude!
    -- Tim Taylor

Do a search for Doug's seats. He removed the plywood bottoms and replaced with basket weave something or other - claims they are great. And if they can stand the abuse he puts them thru they should last.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    I'd probably go with Surplus City for the covers, I was very happy with the top I got from them. Just throwing new covers on won't do the trick.....

Scott
    If you get covers from SS, you also get new thick foam to put under the seat cover. Mine worked well.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Check Kaiserjeeps' post about his deuce seat upgrade if you want comfort and serious durability!

You watch, they're so comfortable he'll soon be buying surplus deuce seats to redo for use as new living room furniture!

Or maybe there's more truth to that than I'm assuming, huh, Al?
    -- Tim Taylor

Hmmmmmm, a couple deuce seats in front of the TV, eh? That would sort of round out the MV theme around the place here!

Hey, why not, we have Real Tree camo sofas and chairs for sale all over.

I have the first box seat from my Gasser M35 on a furniture dolly in my shop. I call it my "thinking chair" since it is comfortable to sit in, easy to move around pretty handy to just sit in while comptemplating why something I am trying to do isn't working.

Jennifer won't let it come in the house though and I don't have tv out there.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I have the first box seat from my Gasser M35 on a furniture dolly in my shop. I call it my "thinking chair" since it is comfortable to sit in, easy to move around pretty handy to just sit in while comptemplating why something I am trying to do isn't working.

Jennifer won't let it come in the house though and I don't have tv out there.
    That is funny. I keep threatening to find an old bus seat for the front porch. Seems my tastes are different than hers though.........

I do have a CJ rear seat that floats between the shop, the back of the M715 and my van, depending on the need. It gets use as a thinking chair too.