Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 230 Power Pack Removal

Default 230 Power Pack Removal

I am going to remove a engine and transmission from an off site 715, I would like to remove the engine and transmission as a unit? I have done this with a M37 can you do it with a M715?
    James

yes. But you will find it easier to take out with the front clip removed.

Matter of opinion. Since I hate taking sheet metal off I would much rather just remove the shifter and pull the hood. Comes out easy enough if you have a good cherry picker - I used a load leveler and it made mine a breeze.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Hey James, depending on when and where, I can lend a hand if you need it. I also have a cherry picker we can use.

There is good info on pulling the 230 with trans in this recent thread:

Clutch Chatter?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Talking about mine?

I've got a folding engine hoist, but never got around to getting a load leveler

I'm not against pulling some sheetmetal if need be. I need to start soaking in PB blaster now though.

Last week I did move the 84&85 blazers so we can work on asphalt on the 715 now. Just need to get it moved up the hill some.

I also have air hose enough to reach out there and some air tools.

also let me know what kind of time frame you are thinking about w/Christmas coming up and all.

Default Engine Pull

Britt:
    I have a load leveler, I like the idea of just removing the hood, radiator and shifter,using the leveler we should be able to lift her right out of there. My son will be back from college in a few days but I was thinking with Christmas fast approaching we could do the pull in the first week of January, if that's not too late, FNG good for you!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplecat View Post
    Britt:
    I have a load leveler, I like the idea of just removing the hood, radiator and shifter,using the leveler we should be able to lift her right out of there. My son will be back from college in a few days but I was thinking with Christmas fast approaching we could do the pull in the first week of January, if that's not too late, FNG good for you!
    James
    James,
    Sounds like a plan man. I think w/the leveler, it'll slide on out thru the big hole w/o the hood/rad/front support etc w/not much probs.
    Keep my number handy and just holler as we get closer
    FNG, if you can come down, the more the merrier man! (as a matter of fact, we'll announce it an all the locals can come for some "watching" and maybe even do a cookout lol
    We also have pretty good pizza, bbq, or hibachi grill nearby too
    Britt

Don't forget to pull the transmission cover and the shifter. Sounds stupid but say you are alone in your garage and pulling the drive-train at 2am and the only thing that is keeping the blasted thing in the truck is the stupid fricken shifter handle that sticks out just a couple of freaking inches too freaking far you might be tempted to cut the darn thing off with a sawzall in one hand while you control the cherry picker with the other!
    Or so I've heard. I, of course would never be that unorganized lol
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Because the m715 is fairly high in stock form, If you don't remove the front clip, another way to gain height advantage for the cherry picker is to pull the wheels off and set the truck on jack stands at their lowest level before starting the pull.