Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy with carb problems.

Default New guy with carb problems.

Hey guys. Name is Doc. Just bought a M715 with a little over 30k on her. Have big plans for her in the future, but right now, I can't get the carb to stop leaking. I tried gasket sealer, multiple times. Then I bought a rebuild kit from Daytona Carb parts. Still leaking. My leak is coming from the bottom screw on the bowl. Can somebody tell me what the heck I am doing wrong!?

Thanks for the help in advance.

P.S. Love the site!

- doc

Sounds like there is a crack or defect in the area where the gasket seats. use a magnifing glass to inspect the areas.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Thanks for the reply.

I went and checked it out. Didn't find anything though. I tore it back apart, and let it soak in come carb cleaner. I just threw it all back together. So hopefully this goes well.

I just rebuilt a carb and had the same problem. Took 3 tries but I finally got the gasket to seal. You have to use gorilla torque on the screws and I tightened them each a little at a time. I also move the gasket around to get it to seat better. I have had this problem before. It is not uncommon.

That was kinda the answer that I was hoping for. I dropped my purse and tightened the bowl screws. The carb stopped leaking!

But, now she doesn't want to start. It's either too cold, or I am going to have to start looking for other problems (ie. plugs, wires, distributor, fuel pump and filter, etc.). I also noticed, that it seems like my tank only holds 10gal.? I think the pump might be clogged.

The fuel pump should put out 6-8 psi. You can check that it is flowing good by taking the line off the carb and running it into a small water bottle. It should fill the bottle in a about 5-10 sec of cranking.

If you get the engine to fire with starter fluid then the problem is likely carb or fuel pump. If it doesn't fire then replace/test the coil. That coil is the most common cause of no fire.

Hmm. Sounds like it might be both. I kinda left the ignition switch on and let the two batteries that were from '02, die. I replaced the batteries, today. So it could be the coil. But then again. I replaced the fuel filters also. With some plastic clear ones. The one inline to the carb, is only filling about 1/4 way. Hmm. I hate chasing gremlins..

Thanks for the tip on the water bottle. I am going to go try that right now.

if you left the batteries on, then the coil is dead. Been there, done that. Several times. Doh!

Yes. I think it must be the coil. The water bottle trick, tested good. So now to sourcing a good new coil.

Found the coil over at Memphis. Having it overnighted to me, so I should have it in the morning. I picked up a spare just in case.

Thanks for the help guys.