Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools!

Default Tools!

After a lot of thought I've come to the realization that I don't have enough tools No really... Since I'm wanting to do everything on the M715 myself I'm going to "have" to invest my current stash 'o' cash in the big tools instead of parts. I have a decent selection of hand tools and power tools, but nothing special, just enough to handle most day to day auto work. I'm looking at the M715 as a chance to learn and do some things I've never tryed before. I thought I'd throw a few things up and see what the more experianced builders think. My budget is 1800 and I'm looking to fill out the garage shop:

Ingersol Rand Compressor, 3 HP 60 gallon tank

Hobart Handler 140 w/gas setup and cart

Hobart XVS helmet

Jacket/gloves/misc safety gear

Bench top blast cabinet

90 lb portable blaster

This totals out at 1650, leaving 150. I'll still need blast media(not sure which kind) and paint gun (no clue, anything that'll hande the OD and primer), but beyond that I'm not sure. I've also never welded before (dad has a long time ago but not me), so any advise would be helpfull. Once I've got my shop set up I plan on spending the rest of the year on bodywork etc... so anything that would go along with that would be helpfull.

Thanks!

Watch craigs list, local pawn shops, auctions, etc. A lot of times you can get tools in good shape for pennies on the dollar. Look at the condition of them and make sure they work before spending your $$$$. If you are friends with the local snap-on or other tool dealer they can usually hook you up with some quality used tools. Just be patient and you will find good deals.

I agree. Keep in mind you will need Lots of money in accessorys for most of what I saw there. Gas for the welder, magnets that hold the work, wire brushes, protective clothing for both welding AND blasting, an air dryer is a must for blasting. Wet air will clump the sand and put a stop to progress REAL quick. It is nice to get new stuff, but most times used will work just as good. I'll never buy a new compressor unless I hit the lottery. Quincey, Champion, IR all have pumps out there that are steel and have 100% duty rating. It looks like you have put some thought into your purchases, but you can save yourself some big bucks looking at used equipment.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I wouldn't buy a 90lb blaster. I have a 200lb and it's amazing how quick I can run through that much. You can score a 150-200lb sand blaster fairly cheap used.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

Look on craigslist for used welder and air compressor. Save lots of $$ over new for like new equipment.

I am in the same position as you. I have done a frame off of a Willys Wagon, but I had to rely heavily on friends for tools and expertise. I have decided I am going to do most everthing this time, although I know I will need some help. I looked for quite some time for a good used welder, but the good ones were almost as much as a new one. I received a 20% off any one purchase coupon from Tractor Supply and used it to buy my new Hobart 140. It is a great machine. You will definetly want the gas for doing sheet metal work. I saved some money by purchasing the cart, magnets, etc. at Harbor Freight. Your list sounds pretty complete. At some point I want to get a torch set. Something else you can probably pick up used. Good luck with the truck.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Using this stuff daily, I can offer you some advice:

If you can do as said above, and pick up some good name brand stuff slightly used but in good shape, do it.

If you are going to buy equipment to work with, then be sure to buy quality. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn on inferior equipment, or trying to fix something parts and service aren't available for.

If you can do it financially, buy a bit more than you think you'll need. As your skills improve, you'll be glad you sprung for the right tools.

Harbor Freight is OK if you know what you're buying. I wouldn't buy anything that requires consumable parts, or major electrical items. You'll be SOL in a short order and the store won't be able to help you.

Also factor in some decent manuals, books, or even some education time for what you intend to do. It will go further than anything else.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The Hobart welder is a good choice for sheet metal work, and should be good for most metals up to 1/4 inch thick or maybe a little thicker, but if you get a 180 you can pretty much do everything up to 1/2 inch. I personally would go with a used larger welder. Also, if you are mostly doing sheet metal work, use some smaller wire like .030 I had the use of a millermatic 251 and used .035 wire, but it took some skill to not burn through the thinner stuff. I will eventually get a used Millermatic 251 for 800.00

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Good advice ^^^^

I have the Hobart 180 and I love it. Its been working for me now for about 6 years with absolutely no trouble. I've put together all kinds of stuff with it too. A plus is that it pretty much is a Miller, and all the Miller parts are interchangeable as well. In fact, the gun says Miller right on it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'd recommend a larger welder as well... and I'd also recommend buying used. A MIG welder has a few wear-prone parts, most notably the feed rollers and wire guide, but they last a while, are easy to replace if they are worn out, and a used machine will save you a lot of money - and if you're lucky, come with the gas tank ($150), hood, gloves, etc. Any welder that plugs into a 120V outlet will only be good for metal up to 3/16" or so, and on metal that thick you'll be going pretty slowly and may need multiple passes. A larger welder will need a 240V outlet, but installing one is a relatively minor project. Oh, and don't even consider a harbor freight welder, no matter how much the person selling it wants to get rid of it.

Same goes for the compressor... I picked up my compressor, an old sears 2hp model, for $20. it's needed some work (so far I've re-honed the cylinders and re-grooved a piston after discovering a poor repair after it ate an intake valve at some point in the past, and replaced the motor after the stock one burnt out due to this), but it's still going... a few more dollars would get you one a lot newer. Make sure whatever you get is belt driven - do NOT get a direct-drive model. A proper compressor will have a standard stand-alone motor next to the pump, and not be integrated with the pump in any fashion. Also be wary of imaginary ratings - make sure the current draw is correct for the claimed horsepower. Like shopvacs, there's a lot of utterly bull ratings being published.

For the blaster, the size you get depends on the amount of blasting you plan on doing... A relative has been happy with his 80 pound unit, and I've been happy with my $5 stick-the-hose-in-the-bag-of-sand siphon unit, since I don't do much blasting. The harbor freight units work pretty well. For media, I use generic sand, but be sure to do it outdoors and wear a proper respirator - sand is very bad for your lungs, worse than other blast media. Mostly I use it because it's dirt cheap, does a good job, and can be screened and re-used easily.

--Randy