Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Died pulling into work this morning

Default Died pulling into work this morning

Well I decided to drive my M715 into work today so that I could bring my S250 shelter home which I brought in on a trailer the other day.

I keep my truck in an insulated but non-heated garage. The temperature outside was -3 C (27 F) but it fired up with the choke on and it pulled it out of the garage. It did stumble as I pulled out onto the main road and shifted gears but I made the 10 mile trip into work from my house.

Along the way I would get vibrations that I felt were coming from the drivetrain and not the tires (but who knows for sure). Mostly in 3rd and 4th gear.

Anyways, I hit a few lights coming in and had no problems idling.

Just as I pulled into work I downshifted into 3rd and the truck died. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't catch. I had filled up my gas tank and put stabilizer in the fall and my gauge reads 3/4 full.

What is most embarassing is that I had to get my coworker to pull me into the parking lot with his Toyota 4Runner.

I tried starting it again after about 15 minutes and it still won't catch. I know that in the middle of winter when it was cold in my garage it wouldn't start at all and now sounds similar. It is suppose to warm up to 15 C (60 F) this afternoon and I'm hoping that solves the problem.

Does it sound like I have a fuel delivery problem? Suspects?

Thanks

I would check fuel filters and float needle valve. Water in fuel?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Hi Barrman,

I put in a new fuel filter last summer and the gas was fresh and filled to the top in the fall with stabilizer added. I guess water is possible.

I haven't rebuilt the carb since buying the truck a couple years ago. Only adjusted the timing and idle speed.

Maybe something has gotten into the carb.

My stock engine used to run great until about every 500 miles I would be driving along with no problems. Push the clutch in and the engine would die. I would have to floor it to get it refired and it would pop, sputter and barely move under its own power. Pulling the float bowl off, cleaning out the needle seat would fix it. I would also replace the fuel filter at the carb, added one at the tank and another before the pump. All 3 filters would fill up with gunk soon after.

I removed my tank, had a radiator shop steam clean it and all has been good for 6 years now. I think I have replaced the filter at the tank maybe 3 times since then when it looked like some goo was in it.

Remove the fuel cap and see if you hear air rush in. The vent line could be clogged up on you.

There is also a sock type filter in the fuel tank. Mine still clogs up on me some. With the fuel cap off, blow air back through the fuel line until you hear bubbles in the tank. I lost fuel pressure just last Monday on the way home from work. I didn't have my air nozzle with me, so I just undid the line and blew into it myself. I was driving home a minute later. This hasn't happened to me since the same thing happened on a mountain trail in Colorado during the FE in 2008.

Just trying to give you some things to think about and look at.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Sounds like a real possibility as I depressed my clutch as I pulled into work and that's when it happened. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at it and try to fire it up at lunch time.

The darn thing fired right up and idled fine when I just tried it. The temperature has risen to 9 C (48 F). I think I'll let it idle for a while to make sure it does die again after running for a bit. All I need is for it to get me home tonight...and not stranded on the side of the road.

I like Barrman's assessment. I also had the same problem while returning from the 08NFE. I was running down the highway at about 65-70, and about an hour from home, when the truck started to miss and rapidly lose power.

In less than a minute, I was downshifting and trying to get to a safe spot on the road when the motor quit and wouldn't restart without a heavy throttle. I pulled the filter on the inlet side and watched all the nasty orange crud run back out of it. I pulled it off, blew and washed it out. Once reinstalled, the truck ran perfect again.

At those temps it wouldn't take very much moisture in the fuel to ice the carb up. I would start by looking at the float bowl and see what is in it.

Well I'm happy to report that I made it home without any troubles. I guess I'll be limiting my trips to days that are warmer until I've had the chance to investigate my fuel system. Thanks for all the help guys.

On a side note, I got the S250 shelter installed without much trouble with the exception of the fuel gas heater's jerry can siphon tube punching through my canvas top. DOH! I already have one patch in that old top and soon there will be another.

This reminded me of a non-related but possible concern.

Look at the primary wire feeding your ignitor (distributor) - mine was contacting the engine mount and rubbed through to bare wire causing erratic voltage and at times an open circuit.

I fixed it when I had a memorable experience on I-70 East of Columbus Ohio - the danged wire separated, stopping spark at the plugs but after coasting for some time (still drawing fuel, filling the exhaust system with fuel vapor!) it reconnected and BOOM! blew my muffler apart when the engine restarted. I thought for sure I'd lost the engine.

Check that wire - sporadic spark gives some of the same symptoms as fuel issues.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011