Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Att 4BT M715 owners

Thumbs up Att 4BT M715 owners

I want to know how well you like the conversion.
    How is the power and how does it compare to a gas engine,like a small block chevy or ford?
    I'm also interested in how well it would work for lite towing, under 8000 lbs?

Thanks Tom
    Last edited by 4X4jeepfreak; April 1st, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

My M715 (in construction) now has a 6BT, but I do have a '63 J300 with a 4BT, NV4500, NP200 and Dana 70/60 axles, so it is quite equivalent to a M715.

The engine is a CPL 858 4BT with the 3200 RPM spring, HY35, volvo intercooler and tweaked pump. The truck is a pleasure to drive and while it's not a hotrod, it has plenty of power. I haven't towed anything, but I've carried 2500lbs in the bed and the little 4BT just chugs along without any complaints. Mileage is typically 23-25MPG. My only complaint is the noise. The cab is completely uninsulated (I don't even have a carpet), so I think there is much room for improvement. Another thing I don't quite like is the gear spacing of the NV4500 (3-4 mainly), but it's a 5-speed wide ratio tranny.... Got to have big jumps somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I know the 4BT is no hot rod.I just want to know if it can hold its own on the road.I would like to be able to hold 65 to 70 on the freeway and be able get out of it's own way.
    I really like the milage your getting.Thats a dream with my pesent daily driver,a F350 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.8 gas 5spd/4.10 gears.

(I would love to be able to put a 6BT in my M715)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    ...I do have a '63 J300 with a 4BT, NV4500, NP200 and Dana 70/60 axles, so it is quite equivalent to a M715.
    Why were you and the other guy taking pictures of eachother?

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4jeepfreak View Post
    ...That's a dream with my present daily driver,a F350 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.8 gas 5spd/4.10 gears.
    You would have had to have gotten the Powerstroke in that Ford to get close to that mileage. However, just like the 6BT won't get close to the fuel economy of the 4BT, the Powerstroke is similarly limited to about 19-20mpg with your specs. What kind of fuel economy do you get with that Ford gas motor?

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4jeepfreak View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I know the 4BT is no hot rod.I just want to know if it can hold its own on the road.I would like to be able to hold 65 to 70 on the freeway and be able get out of it's own way.
    I really like the milage your getting.Thats a dream with my pesent daily driver,a F350 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.8 gas 5spd/4.10 gears.

(I would love to be able to put a 6BT in my M715)

Holding 75-80MPH on long uphill stretches of highway is not a problem, but I do have to keep an eye on the EGT and downshift to 4th sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    You would have had to have gotten the Powerstroke in that Ford to get close to that mileage. However, just like the 6BT won't get close to the fuel economy of the 4BT, the Powerstroke is similarly limited to about 19-20mpg with your specs. What kind of fuel economy do you get with that Ford gas motor?
    I get 12- 14 mpg running empty, 9-10 mpg towing, which isn't bad for what it is.

Tom

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    Why were you and the other guy taking pictures of eachother?
    Actually, he's parked in front of Connecticut's Giant Mirror Park.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

One more question

How does the 4BT compare to the GM 6.2 ro 6.5 with a turbo??

I had a 1980 J10 I bought with a 6.2 NA in it. It was the worst motor I have ever had. I had a 4b put in and it was a world of difference in stock form. Then I started tuning the pump, injectors,etc. Now Im putting a 6n in a 715.

Power and Diesel I find addictive......you have been warned!