Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheby power steering brackets question

Default Cheby power steering brackets question

I'm putting a power steering pump on my chevy 350. It's a 1977 motor out of a '77 G van. Ten years ago, I pulled the pump off when I put the motor in the 715. Now, I have the pump and the bracket attached to the pump, but forget how it goes on the motor.

Looks to me that the bracket hangs off the water pump, theres a boss there that is about 1/4" narrower than the spacing between the sides of the bracket (maybe a couple of inches wide). It's threaded all the way thru (water pump, that is)....the back side of the bracket is threaded too, though. Do I shim out the 1/4" gap...or is there another bracket part that's missing?? I am gonna have to make a back-side bracket (part that bolts to the block, and the adjuster slot in the main bracket lines up to).

Is this in any way right?? My books don't have pics that show it well, or the good diagrams are of different years/bracket designs.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The lower bracket is a sort of "U" shaped one that has two bolts which bolt to the two bosses on the bottom of the block just above the oil pan rail on the front. There is one strap that bolts to the side of the block above the pan rail as well on that same bracket.

The top adjustment bracket bolts with one bolt into the boss cast ontot he water pump housing.

Pump sits in between and once you have the bracketry in place its pretty self explanatory.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

So I just ignore the threaded hole on the back side of the bracket that hooks to the water pump? One bolt holding the whole p/s pump to the front side of the water pump?

The bracket I made up for the adjuster I bolted to the 3 holes (3/8") that are just under the driver side valve cover. It curves down to meet the p/s pump adjuster slot. (Slot is in p/s pump bracket...threaded hole in support bracket I made).

I think it'll work.

DP
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I found that the brackets for a 72 chevy pickup were very similar to a later chevy van a few years back. That might help you find a better diagram.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think pics may be in order. I'm not sure if you have early style brackets.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Picturs would really help DP. Basically, Chevy used 2 different familys of ps pump mounts before the serpentine belt came along.

The early style bolted the pump holding bracket to the 1955 front motor mount holes up next to the timing cover. The belt tension bracket was sandwiched between the engine and the motor mount on the side.

The newer (1970's-mid 1980's) worked off the long water pump, the 1955 front motor mount bolts and in some cases, an exhaust manifold stud.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

OK, here are some pics...sorry, no quarter.

First three are of the pump. Distance between the two ears on the left side as you face the pulley is 2-1/8".

In the pics of the water pump, you can make out the mount on the pump (can see threads in first pic). This mount is about 1-7/8" wide. (replaced water pump when built motor, this is first time putting p/s pump on, don't know if/how it's different from original pump). These 2 pics were taken when with the camera just about vertically over the steering gear, to give you an idea of the angle.

DP

The bracket you have bolts to the water pump like you thought. That is the pivot.

You have another bracket somewhere that will bolt to the manifold and maybe the motor mount. That will be your adjustor mount.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The bracket you have bolts to the water pump like you thought. That is the pivot.

You have another bracket somewhere that will bolt to the manifold and maybe the motor mount. That will be your adjustor mount.

I have fabbed the adjuster mount.

What about the 1/4" or so play on the main bracket (bracket wider than the mount on the water pump.

Also, why is the nut welded on the back side of the bracket...the water pump is threaded...does teh mounting bolt screw all the way thru the water pump, and also catch that nut? Don't see the advantage there....

THANKS
    DP

Are your pulleys lined up with the crank somewhere in the front to back slop? Just shim it so it lines up. I think you might be mix matching brackets and water pumps. I dont' have one here to look at, otherwise I would have done pictures already.