Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once again, I forgot to ask...

Default Once again, I forgot to ask...

Once again, I forgot to ask how much shipping was. I get so tired of being screwed. Perhaps I'm over reacting and would like some opinions.

I just ordered a 4.99 spray can of 24087 from Surplus City. My total bill was 15.57. Let's see if I can do the math here...humm. That's 10.58 for putting it in a box, loosely putting in some news paper and calling FedEx. I'd like to know how much the actual shipping was.

Do you guys feel 10.58 is a little much for shipping one can of spray paint?

Memphis Equipment does the same thing. I got a $12 valve cover gasket. The total bill was about 25.00. VERY SAD!

So, don't forget to ask how much the shipping is!
    Thanks for all the help!

A bit high? Yes. Enough to warrant a 180 word post? No
    Last edited by Mikel; April 3rd, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Actually, you probably had to pay a Hazmat fee for shipping the spray paint.

As far as Memphis, their prices are just high, and their shipping is even worse.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That's correct on the haz-mat fee, if it was shipped UPS or equivalent. I've dealt with that before in the past, and even had trouble shipping some paints. That's where buying and shipping paint products is best done in high volume.

Oh, and I only counted 126 words, including "humm", and 7 number sequences, but I counted pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post

Oh, and I only counted 126 words, including "humm", and 7 number sequences, but I counted pretty quickly.

We engineers make educated guesses. Being off by 50% is good enough for government work
    Last edited by Mikel; April 3rd, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Contractions might count as two words. : p

Rapco says "Gallons are subject to a FED-Ex or UPS Hazardous material charge. Spray cans are exempt from this charge, but must be shipped in separate package".

Rapco single cans are 6.00.
    Thanks for all the help!

Shipping prices are going up on everything. I don't even like ordering anything offline anymore. I will search the surrounding area first. So much for convenience shopping off the Internet.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you notice though, many companies offer low prices online, then make up the difference in shipping, so that its the same cost for an item as if you bought it anywhere else. That is if you can find it anywhere else. Sometimes its just the price you have to pay for obscure things.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

"As far as Memphis, their prices are just high, and their shipping is even worse."

I dont really think this is completely true statement.

about 4 or 5 years ago, I orderd all the stuff to redo our brush truck, (wich is now my truck) we put new drums, shoes, wheel cylyders, master, valve cover gasket, radiator fuel filler hose and a list of other parts, except for the brake shoes, and even that wasnt bad when we sent the cores back, I thought they prices werent that bad, we also got 4 tires , and I dont think the total bill was 1500.00. I know you could do better going from place to place, but you know what else, they had everything, I have used them 5 or 6 times since I have been retransforming my truck and have been happy evertime I have dealt with them. but I have also used AB linn, and many people on the board for parts also.

Duane

In defense of Memphis Equipment - I agree their prices are a bit high and shipping on single parts is high. But their service is first rate - they have always gotten back to me the same day when I was inquiring about parts and they usually ship the same day when you order something. They have also combined the shipping on large orders for me and it has been very reasonable. So if you need a hard to find part in a hurry they are the place to go. If you want to pay the best price and are willing to deal with poor service then there are many other places that are better.

Surplus City is another matter they have high prices and poor service. Living near Oroville I have spent many a Saturday morning walking around their yard and back rooms looking for parts that their computer said they had but that no one could locate. They do have a M715 and two M725 ambulances sitting in the back of their yard. Said they would sell the whole vehicles but would not sell parts off of them.

As far as shipping prices go I have found that living in a high sales tax State (8.75% in my area) ordering stuff online and paying shipping is offset by not paying sales tax. Now when CA figures out how to collect tax on stuff bought over the enternet I may change my mind.