Thread: M715 / FSJ Parts Interchange?

Default M715 / FSJ Parts Interchange?

I am looking to ruggedize a civilian FSJ, an '88 Grand Wagoneer. Does anyone know if the leaf springs from a M715 will bolt on? I know the M's used much beefier axles vs my D44's, would they also bolt under my FSJ?

Tom Johnson
    West of Houston

The short answer is no and no.

Even if the springs were to fit they would ruin the nice soft ride of the 88. Also the M715 axles have a 5.87:1 gear ratio and drum brakes front and back. Your top speed would fall dramatically. They also have an odd bolt pattern so wheel choices become limited.

If it were me I'd look at more modern axles from a HD 3/4 or 1 ton and use them.

Thanks, wishful thinking on my part. Looks like the best option is to just get some military wrap springs from BDS or Alcan, and aftermarket shafts. Appreciate the reply!

The BDS springs work real nicely. I've had them in my 78' Chief for several years now and like how they flex and ride. As for axles, I'm running the D44 with heavy shafts and a custom Tera 60 inthe rear. I'm more of a finesse off-road driver instead of a leadfoot, power through driver and have never had a problem breaking axle componants.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Welcome to another Texan.

You are only 50 miles from me and about the same from a few Zoners in Houston. If you see a FSJ and a M715 next to each other, you will understand that nothing but body panels in a few spots are the same. You don't want the M715 springs or axles.

You are welcome to come look at my M715 and '63 Wagoneer next to each other to verify.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

if your looking to beef up your waggy check out BJs0ffroad.com. They were great to deal with when I built my 89

but as everyone else has said drive train parts won't swap easily. which is why im putting a 715 body on my waggy chassie