Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HUMMWV wheels

I have put them in a M715, with a Chevy Dana 60 front and stock rear. The front required 2" spacers and the rear hubs were redrilled to the eight lug pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by maskale View Post
    Oh, the other thing people do is use dually front axle hubs to space them out. Also swap out the rear hubs for either dually hubs or cab and chassis hubs on the 14bolt. But u will have to research that to know for sure.

They wouldn't be my choice. But they have their place and lots of people use them. Especially recentered like Barrman said. There are companies that do it or u can buy the new centers and do your self if you have the means.

Dually hubs and HMMWV hubs would result in horrible scrub radius.

Mikel,
    I really like the look of the Hummwv wheels and tires on your rig.
    I confess, I am a restorer at heart and not a hot rodder or mods guy so bear with me;
    How exactly do wheel spacers work, eg front Chev Dana 60 axle?
    I assume the spacer ring uses the stock 8 bolts on the hub to attach to and has another set of studs to attach the wheel???
    Or, do you end up using longer studs in the hubs to make up for the 2" thickness of the spacer?
    Also, how do the hummwv wheels compare in overall height compared to stock M715 wheels with original military tires? They look close to the same.

Spacers are considered a less than ideal solution by high-power or offroad guys. They've been in use forever for DD rigs, though.

Check out TrailWorthyFab for recentered wheels.
    Last edited by Subybaja; February 8th, 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post

Spacers are considered a less than ideal solution by high-power or offroad guys. They've been in use forever for DD rigs, though.

They are less than ideal in the sports car/track car world as well.

Could the stock wheel centers not be milled out and welded to barrels from another application? (or similar?) Is the objective to get to 16.5 from 16 to run the inexpensive and readily available tires, or is the objective the Hummv wheels themselves?
    keith.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.zuffenhaus.us

Personaly it is the lok of the HMMWV wheels tha I like, ready available and inexpensive.

Those look like aluminum spacers. I made mine out of 1018 steel. Pressed into the (machined) hubs and with grade 8 hardware and threadlocker, they are not going anywhere.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to criticize your setup. I've been kicking around this same problem myself recently. Well, sort of- I've got Ford 8-bolt axles, but the odd offset on the H1 wheels still means either recentering or spacers...

I'm leaning toward recentering, for strength and because it would take huge spacers (3.5"?) to push those rims out where they should be. Can you tell us more about your spacers, Mikel?

I know TWF does two kinds of centers, one pressed and one flat. I wonder if they could drill the flat ones to fit 715 bolt pattern?

TWF says "We keep those in stock.". 6 on 7.25, that is.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to criticize your setup. I've been kicking around this same problem myself recently. Well, sort of- I've got Ford 8-bolt axles, but the odd offset on the H1 wheels still means either recentering or spacers...

I'm leaning toward recentering, for strength and because it would take huge spacers (3.5"?) to push those rims out where they should be. Can you tell us more about your spacers, Mikel?

I know TWF does two kinds of centers, one pressed and one flat. I wonder if they could drill the flat ones to fit 715 bolt pattern?
    Last edited by Mikel; February 9th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.