Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The newer 14 bolts fit fairly well.

Default The newer 14 bolts fit fairly well.

I need to go get some pics of the clearances, but I swapped an 05 2500 14 bolt into the 725 over the weekend. Just barely enough clearance for the calipers on each side. Was a much easier swap than the original 14 bolt I had in there.

Pics to come.. at some point. Driving it from Sunnyvale, CA to Longmont CO next weekend

Default The newer 14 bolts fit fairly well.

Why the swap to the newer one?

That will be a nice road trip in your 725. Are you moving or just a vacation? I have an 05 Chevy AAM 11.5 rearend that I have mocked up in one of my 715's and you are right about them fitting better than the older 14 bolts.

1.) Found it kinda cheap ($300)

2.) Easier to work with e-brake vs eldorado calipers.

3.) Doorman discontinued the studs that work well for a disc conversion on the older ones.

Cool. How wide is it?

Just wide enough .. Pretty sure the old 14s were 67.5" wms to wms. This is a hair wider, but not a whole lot.

Yeah.. moving.. Escaping CA after almost 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by alosix View Post
    Just wide enough .. Pretty sure the old 14s were 67.5" wms to wms. This is a hair wider, but not a whole lot.

Yeah.. moving.. Escaping CA after almost 5 years.
    Congrats on the move. Nice you are driving it for this move instead of getting it shipped. I moved about a year and a half ago from CA after spending most of my life in the Humboldt County area. It sure isn't the golden state anymore.

Yeah.. as a computer geek I wanted to work in silicon valley for a bit. It was a good career experience, but just not a place I want to put down roots (or could afford to put down roots for that matter). Would have worked out better if I had moved out in my 20s instead of my 30s.

I got the truck shipped out here from MD because it just wasn't ready for driving very far. Its come a long way in the last 2 weeks (working heat, wipers going on tomorrow, trans finally shifting right). I figure 1200 miles should be a decent test. We'll have enough tools to rebuild it on the way if needed, but it should be ok.

05 hemi/545rfe/241 8 lug 5 link ram D44 and now a new 14bolt in the rear. The drivetrain has been pretty solid. Cooling was most of the worries but I think I got that sorted with a new radiator setup last summer.

Does anyone know what year the 14 bolt was made wider, or is there a materials number someone should look for? I think that would be really helpful! Thanks guys!

Alosix: let me know when you get to Colorado, I'm about an hour north of you. I'll IM you my cell if you need help.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Sounds like they are the same width as a 14 bolt van rear. IIRc, the new 14 bolts started when the body style changed in '99.