Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

Default Painted pieces finally!

21 April 2015
    Newport News, Va.

Hi everyone! Finally we are starting to see some 24087 OD Green pieces now.
    a couple of runs but I'm not going to worry myself to death over it now.

I have a couple of more trips to make to pick up more. Inner fenders are done and look good. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them home.

For now here is what I picked up today. I still have to paint the NOS glove box door to match but the rattle can paint perfectly matched the "gunslingers" paint job on the big pieces. That was a worry I had.

Hope ya all enjoy.

73-
    Dave (W4CPO)

Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Looks Really Good Dave.

Pristine.

One thing I figured out is that the rattle cans will shift color very slightly.... usually go darker, in a few weeks.

Dont know why, just noticed it, where I did some touchup, and it blended well a bit later.

USMC Forest Green 24052 is what I am using, but I bet the 24087 will also "blend" in a short time as well... a bit darker.

Ahhh to have a clean truck again.....
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Looking good Dave
    From what I have seen, Kaiser Jeep couldn't avoid paint runs either.
    Perfect match of the factory finish, I would say

WOW, how exciting to see parts coming back together!! Looks great!!
    Thanks for all the help!

This is A Beautiful Build...there is something you dont here with the M715 much...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

hope mine turns out half as good, course still can't decide olive drab or desert tan

Default A little tailgate work last night.

23 April 2015
    Newport News, Va. -

Good afternoon everyone!

First let me say THANK YOU to everyone for the kind words recently! Makes me feel good knowing that I'm doing ya' all right with my rebuild and as usual for answering my questions (IE- the foot starter switch this time).

Now with that out of the way, last night was fun. The Spring Crud laid me out flat out hard yesterday. I could hardly breathe. So Ed ( The Garage Elf ) and our friends Luke and Walt came over to play. They attacked the tailgate with gusto. A couple of more applications of their enthusiasm should give us a near brand new tailgate ready for paint. Major props to my next door old school style hot rod builder neighbor Bob for letting me "steal" his tool air off his commercial high volume compressor as mine would not keep up with the CFM required to run the high speed cut off wheel tool. I owe Bob a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon now.

Today, I finally got my bottle lease account with the local AIRGAS distributor approved so we went to pick up the needed "flame wrench" items to expedite the tailgate work. Amazing how in this day and age, unless you have a business, compressed gas dealers shun you (Homeland Security reasons maybe?).

Hope everyone is doing well! Best wishes and have fun!

Dave-
    W4CPO

Default Tailgate work continues

2 May 2015
    Newport News, Va.

Good morning and Blessings everyone! We managed to get more work done on rebuilding the tailgate. Finally got the outer support cut out to gain access to the hinge that needs replacing. We hope to start heating up the metal with a rosebud oxy/acy torch tip (Victor #4) to start flattening out the bumps and buckles and get the top and bottom rails straight this coming Wednesday.

Hope everyone is doing well. Stay safe ya' all!

Dave-
    (W4CPO)

Wow...first time I have ever seen under those supports...

You are doing one heck of a job...I envy your skills!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Wow...first time I have ever seen under those supports...

You are doing one heck of a job...I envy your skills!!
    X2

It's also good to see that everyone is wearing proper personal safety equipment.
    Something that you rarely see in many of the popular Four Wheeling Magazines published these days.