Thread: Michelin XL, XZL etc, stiff ride and handling?

Arrow Michelin XL, XZL etc, stiff ride and handling?

I'm thinking of getting a set of the Michelin 1100r 16 XZL tires or maybe another similar Michelin military tire of the same size such as an XL.

I'm looking for advice from others who have the same tires as to how well they ride and handle. My concern is since they are a high load rated tire, that they might be little stiff and hard riding especially over rough offroad surfaces.

The M715 is a hard riding vehicle anyway with it's stiff springs, and would benefit from a softer riding tire. I'm guessing a good balanced Michelin would be an improvement on the road.

What Michelin tire are you running?
    Is it on the stock rims?
    What air pressures do you run?
    How is the ride and handling?

Thanks
    Rollie

My Michelin xl's measure out at 38.5 inches on Marsh 8" wide wheels. I keep them at around 42lbs of air. They are a little luggy when going slow on pavement, but smooth out great and give a good ride under speed.

It all depends on psi. My XZL's are smooth at all speeds, little noise if any. But, 60+ psi and the ride is rock hard. 15 psi and it is like driving a marshmallow. 25-40 is the area you want to have them for road driving. At least that is my experience.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

LOL. The suspension on the M715 is so stiff that the tires are not really the source of the problem. I air down my XZL's to about 20 psi on the ranch truck and it rides much better. But the really problem is the suspension. Put 1.5 tons of weight in the bed and the ride is much better.

Default XZL or XL ?

While we are talking about the Michelins, It looks like the XL's would do better offroad, but would it also be safe to say the ZXL's handle better on the road. I'm particularly wondering how well each does on wet pavement, which we seem to get more then our share here in the NorthWet.

Rollie

Think of the XZL as the "all terrain tire" and the XL as the "mud terrain." It is all about psi on traction with the XZL's as it is about ride. The lower the pressure, up goes the traction for dry or wet road. I consider them useless in loose rock or gravel above 25 psi compared to the XL tires which seem to grab at any psi.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim,
    Do you know if they are still making the XML? I loved the tread pattern on that tire. You used to be able to find them here & there but I haven't seen any in a few years for the 16" rim.

You can still find XML's on ebay. Not as frequently as XL's and XZL's but they are there.

I recently went from the ndt's on stock rims to the xl's on stock rims. It greatly improved the ride in my truck. As fisherman said they are a little bumpy at very low speeds, but once you are over 5 mph or so they are great.