I am having a problem with my stock engine running correctly . It will just barely idel and spits and spudders and backfires . I just put a fresh factory rebuilt carb on it with new points . Also drainded the gas tank and put new 91 octane in it . Also checked plug wires and no arking in the dark . Going to put platuim plugs in later tonight but i really dont think the plugs are the problem . I think it must be in the coil or timming . Going to order a timming light tonight to check the timming but dont think this is it either . Truck was running fine and slowly went down hill from there . The engine will ruff idel and when i give it just a little gas then it backfires and wont speed up any . I feel that im a fairly good mechanic but im realy scraching my head on this problem . Does any one have any ideals on this or maybe you have had this problem oh and when i leave the battery terminals on and dont disconnect the batteries the coil in the distribitor box gets real hot . Have to take battery terminals loose . Also engine keeps running when i turn the stock ignition switch off manually have to apply choke to kill engine from running i can use any help i can get