Thread: Back in the saddle with truck number two

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Back in the saddle with truck number two

Well it has been about ten years since I sold my first truck. It is good to see many very familiar names still on this board. Hello to all.
    I have missed my truck and hanging out here quite a bit. Lots of life happened, moved a few times, acquired a few projects and got rid of a few. I always wanted another M715. Well there is one outside now. Many years ago it started out with Snowball. A 1968 M715 serial number 30945 delivery of 11/68. I purchased Snowball from Jacks gov't surplus and after he cleaned it up, fixed the brakes, and got it road ready, I flew down with a friend and drove it all the way home to Portland Oregon. I spent the next several years locating original parts and making a beautiful stock well equipped truck. I sold it to a Seattle guy and he gave it to someone he knew who I believe is on this board. A year or so ago I spotted Snowball on craigslist about an hour from me where I currently live in an ad that was selling all the running gear for a modern drive train swap. What are the chances of that happening. I was really bummed. It goes to say that you absolutely cannot care what happens if you decide to part with something. Not everyone has the same vision. It was none of my business. I had fun with it and that's what counts.

Here is Snowball in FSJ magazine.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I saw a post on IFSJA about a Steel Soldiers free M715. I commented on the post and someone else posted a nice 68 for sale in California. I talked with them once and due to some major miscommunications lost access to the truck and it ended up on Ebay.
    I was now pretty focused on obtaining another M715. I mentioned all this to Fisherman and he suggested contacting Saxon in the Seattle area. Another member on this board. Fisherman also knew another board member up north of Seattle that had what I might be looking for. I got a few pictures and started chomping at the bit. Overfiend had what I was looking for. And the price was in my ballpark. I dug the trailer out of the ice and snow and headed west. I stayed at Fishermans home for two days (thanks Todd) while getting the truck. It was a hoot and a great weekend. I want to do a modified build this time. Same as Fisherman did with his. A buick 350, modified T-98, divorced 202 or 205 and 8 lug axles. Overfiend sold me a dodge dana 70 for a great price and in the back it went. I am still looking for a 35 spline front dana 60 and transfer case. I am going to detune the truck's lift and tires. I may go spring under not sure. I am thinking somewhere around 38's also not sure. So after overfiend removed his big block we loaded the truck up. It was a wet day.

Those tires are pretty big. The Dodgemahaul pulled it all home with authority and a little black smoke. This truck was made one month later with a serial number of 33479 and a delivery date of 12/68. This truck was made 2534 builds later from Snowball at 30945.

And here we are. Left to right, Overfiend, Fisherman, and myself Kaiserjeeps

Pretty cool. Many thanks to Overfiend for the great deal, the humor and all the help.
    A week before getting the truck. I found a rare find. I drove 882 miles in one day into central Montana to Bozeman for these. A J truck T-18, a M715 T-98 and the rare two year bellhousing for putting a stick behind a Buick 350.

Fisherman had the equally rare flywheel for me. What a deal. Thank you Todd for the visit, the food, all the parts you gave me. All of it coming together so well.

I will post a build thread in the modified forum probably later this summer. I need to find a modern front axle and transfer case. Saxon in Seattle just might have a IH NP202 for me. Bigger than a NP205 and exactly what Fisherman did to his truck.

I am looking forward to the build. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 12th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21