Your opinion's please.

Been looking at all the various engine swaps and I can't decide which way to go. My ultimate goal is basic and reliable not high performance & on a budget. (I'd like to have the drive-train handled for under $2k)

Step 1) Determine if the 230 Tornado is worth saving. Waiting on leak-down test results. (mechanic friend isn't getting in any hurry on that)
1.a.) All the accessories (as well as distributor, carb, starter, switches, battery box, etc.), have been robbed from truck before I got it... Even if it does pass the leak-down test is the cost of replacing that stuff cheap or am I better off spending a little more and swapping in something else?

Step 2) Assuming I decide to do a swap. I'm thinking salvage yard motor. Cost and simplicity are my major criteria. I'd like to have fuel injection for reliability but I realize it adds significantly to the complexity. Also I see plenty of options for adapters to the T-98 but does anything bolt up without one?

I like the idea of Toyota straight six maybe out of a land cruiser but am I asking for trouble making that work?

What say you?