Thread: Hey Barrman

Default Hey Barrman

What paint have you been using? I am going to pick some up at Aberdeen and want to know what to look for. I remember you talking about how easy it was to use, so I'd like to give it a try.

"Gillespie Industrial Coatings," available from Rapco (www.rapcoparts.com).
    Last edited by Binford; April 16th, 2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Copied exact name from paint can
    -- Tim Taylor

Yes, Gillespie 24052 USMC Semi-Gloss. It is lead based, applies great and holds up real good. If you look at my latest winch comparison thread, you will see a 5 ton winch in the back of my 715. That winch travelled 89 miles loosly tied down on my just painted flat bed trailer Sunday night. I then had to drag it to the end of the trailer to pick it up with my engine hoist. I was worried about scratching the new paint. Once I got it picked up, Colton got on his hands and knees to find the scratches. He couldn't find any. This paint is great.

The can gives you vague mixing directions. Others here mix and thin with different chemicals and different ratios. We all seem to have success. I use Xylene and mix 2:1 paint to Xylene. A normal mix for me with all my small parts I seem to shoot weekly is 8 oz paint and 4 oz Xylene. Another oz or two of Xylene and it will dry with a shine. An ounce or two the other way and my gun tends to glog up every few minutes. I just put a rag over the end and make the air blow back into the resevior and start shooting again.

I was real tempted to use a roller on my trailer bed and just put the paint on straight non thinned. I bet it would have come out looking great and lasted longer than me if I had.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Hay the winch had 1,500# nylon straps tied in an "X". It was not going anywhere.

No, it wasn't going to leave the trailer. Thank you for tieing it down. It did "walk" around during the drive though and the paint held up just fine. The NP200 didn't leave any marks either.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Tim are using any type of primer? I need to paint the big ugly?

I primered my roadster doors and rims on the 715. I just sanded everything else on the truck down until it was smooth and level. Then shot paint over what was left. Your CARC is held on pretty good on the big truck. Just smooth it out and shoot is my opinion. The only problem is going to be the green around the front might make that part of the truck look darker than the rest painted over the tan. It will be one of those things only you will be able to see, but one day you will look at it and see it.

The green is rattle can so it might come off with a little work. I have a big sandblaster and thought about blasting. From the way the CARC peeled on my M725 over the "not dry" primer in the seams and cracks I thought about just painting w/o primer. I am no body man.