Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow 6217 to new home

Default Tow 6217 to new home

Today, Bmac and I towed my late model 6217 to her new home at the local airport where my new shop/hanger is located. I bought this truck from a guy in Ohio last November. The original dry-rotted canvas top shredded on the way here in December. The 6217 wouldn't run for 2 months after she got here because the carb was gummed up, the gas tank was fouled, the fuel pump was shot (and had leaked gasoline into the motor since it was about 2 quarts too high), the radiator was leaking (after I leaned on it working on the carb), the coolant lines were rotted and about to burst and the coil was bad. I fixed all that which took more than 3 times longer than it should have because she fought me every step of the way.

She was running ok and we tried to move her a week ago from the storage building but she wouldn't run because I hadn't drained the bad gas and crap from the tank and the gas tank pickup was plugged. Well, on Friday I went to hook up the tow bar and got the right side connected no problem but the left side was hitting the bumper brace and I couldn't get the pin in. This morning Bmac and I went back and loosened the bumper brace and finished mounting the tow bar. She wouldn't come out of 4-wheel Lo since the transfer case shift lever was stuck and beating on it and prying on it was unsuccessful. So we disconnected the front driveshaft. It came loose with a bang since it was in a bit of a bind on the pavement. We put the tranny in neutral to tow since the transfer case was still stuck in gear. We then hooked the towbar to my 350 sbc/th400 powered M715 and towed her to my new hangar/shop at a nearby airport. She towed great. It was only a 15 mile trip.

At the shop, we drained the bad gas (I couldn't do it at the storage building for obvious reasons) and cleared the fuel line with compressed air and added fresh gas. She fired right up. I drove her up and down the taxiway a few times and got back and the transfer case was now unstuck.

She runs good now and the transfer case shifter is working again and we put on a new canvas top. Need to work on the brakes next so that I can get her inspected and back on the road.

I know the truck is female because of her finicky nature and I named her PI because everything takes 3 times longer than it should (typical hi-maintenance woman).

Attached are some pics of Pi on her way to her new home.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post

Dude, y'all have warning signs that there are churches ahead? hahahhahahaha!!!!

Seriously, it looks like a nice truck - be great to have a shop in a big area.

Did you guys get hit with the hail at all?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Those are great pics!!!

Looks good Kwai! Do you have all the equipment in it or was that all stripped out?
    Zone holster maker

Two nice trucks!! And great pics! thanks for the pics!!
    Go Ahead, Make my day

After trying most of Saturday afternoon with Kwai trying to figure out a brake light problem on one of my 715's (Thanks again Steve) it was nice to have a little fun Sunday and one picture I didn't get was Steve riding his" mint condition" military Harley Davidson off road motorcycle,that I also got a chance to ride around the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by ColHart View Post
    Two nice trucks!! And great pics! thanks for the pics!!
    Plenty more than two from what I understand!

Looks like a great truck there, Steve!

Now I have to ask: Did you flip your "C" facing forward while towing, or is it always like that?
    -- Tim Taylor

nice looking 6217... post up some pictures of the truck[inside & out] when you get a chance

Default Tow Bar Adapters????

Great looking trucks! Welcome to the Contact Maint. truck world, how many time have you been asked what you are going to do with that! I have had my 6217 for about three years, a great variant. Are those stock towbar adapters for the 715 series?? I have never used my towbar to see if my stock adapters would fit or not.
    James G.

Exact same as mine....