Thread: non canvas cab tops

Default non canvas cab tops

I want to buy a new cab top and was curious who has used a vinyl top. Are they insulated like the newer m35 cab tops.

You would have to contact the top makers to see if they would insulate like the M35 ones. I know Beachwood Canvas can make the top out of vinyl but not sure on New Life. Possible Wee Bee Webbing might be able to do vinyl. Like I said the best way to find out is pick up the phone and call all three of them and get the answers to your questions...then post up here...
    Zone holster maker

Yes, Weebee Webbing does a green/OD vinyl and sent me a sample once. I could see if I could find it and bring it down to you tomorrow, Mike, if you'll be around in the afternoon. But they promised me I would be disappointed with it because of the expansion and contraction of the material with temperature changes. And I don't believe they offered an insulated option, but I could be wrong.
    -- Tim Taylor

Thanks, I found a local place that makes insulated tops for m35's and they said they could make one for a m715.

I don't need one, but you might want to see how much they want to make you a bunch of them. There might be a market for them. I'm not talking get rich quick, but take a poll from the members here to see how many would be interested because you might be able to get a bunch made cheeper than just one.

Would that be in just OD vinyl or the three color nato camo vinyl?
    Zone holster maker

Would you ask this shop if they can do it also in tan color?

Btw. if you look in the old threads there was a good top thread, including modifications (bigger rear window, tinted window, rear rollup,...)

I was trying to get input from people who had used the vinyl type tops to see if they liked them or not. I know members from a few m715 zone's ago had them, just could not remember if they liked them.
    The local shop that will make one for me uses a much heavier material than the sample Binford has from weebee webbing. They only have the material in black. I am going to use this top on my modified truck and dont mind it being black. I will need to pressure wash it a lot and did not think the canvas would last as long, or clean up as easy.
    As far as having them make more than one, well they are doing it more as a favor to my friend. His body shop sends them a lot of business. They have made a few tops for m715's in the past and have a pattern so they said they would do one for me.

Ok I miss understood your post. I thought you found a shop near you that was making the tops for the M35 under gubment contract and therefor they would make you a M715 top out of the same material. This is a little different issue now than what you were stating before. I know that Beachwoood has mil spec vinyl. Sounds like this guy your talking about has regular vinyl that he uses for boat covers, convertable tops etc. Just a local upholstry/canvas shop.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by 503m715 View Post
    I was trying to get input from people who had used the vinyl type tops to see if they liked them or not. I know members from a few m715 zone's ago had them, just could not remember if they liked them.
    Al (Kaiserjeeps) here: Mike, I bought an insulated vinyl top for the deuce and it's great. It's thicker so it does not flap as much in the wind. I think it might be a little more quiet also. Not to mention a bit warmer in the winter and the ability to hold heat in. I wish my cargo cover was insulated also.

Now that Tim is in the bathroom doing his bidness I'm going to go play with his moderator powers...heh heh... I should have a least 15 minutes to spare.
    Hmmmmm, Who to mess with.

LOL... Al.
    -- Tim Taylor