Thread: power steering not working

Default power steering not working

I have one chevy part on my whole truck and it happens to be the power steering pump. I got it off of a ford van so its OK. The problem is this:

I had the whole thing working just fine using a J10 power steering pressure hose. The problem is, the hose developed a leak, and the pump drained out. I would think that even though the pump was empty I didnt ruin it. I made a new pressure line out of hydraulic hose, so now it is the correct lenth and shape. I also put on a double pulley on the front of the pump and in messing around with the new hydraulic line, I took off the nut/adapter found on the back of the pump (where the pressure line screws in to). There is a spring and some sort of metal plug looking thing inside the pump. Now since I put on the new hose, I don't have power steering at all, and the reservoir is full. I moved the steering back and forth to remove the air in the system. Do any of you know if it is possible to install the spring and plug thingy in backwards? I really don't want to take it apart again, since it was a real pain to screw in the hose into the back of the pump.

I haven't taken one apart, but I believe that's the pressure relief valve. If it were installed wrong, it could let the fluid just flow back into the reservoir instead of pumping. However, running a pump dry ruins it quickly, since it uses the fluid to lubricate all the seals, bearings, etc, so could be that too...

--Randy

Did you remove the spring loaded plug in the back and leave it out? You need that.

As stated above, a dry pump ruins fast.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Sounds like the pressure relief valve is in backward. When you install them, it is spring first, then valve with the flat side out, and then the 1" fitting. While its running, pull the cap off and see if there is a lot of circulation in the reservoir causing the fluid to swirl. If so, its likely the pressure relief valve is sending the fluid back into the reservoir.

I have had the pumps run dry long enough for the vanes in them to stick into the hub, which will make them unable to build any pressure. Usually though, it takes a lot longer than just a few seconds. I'm talking hours of buzzing, whining pump to do that. They are pretty resilient.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I think the preasure relief valve is in backwards then. if I remember right, I had the plug in then the spring. Thanks for all the advise.