Thread: Painting Fiberglass

Default Painting Fiberglass

Seems to be quite a few questions regarding paint and what not, I have a question regarding painting fiberglass. I plan on using the Gillespie red primer as well as a Gillespie color on top, can I use those to paint fiberglass? I have a fiberglass hardtop and it appears to be painted with regular type paint on top, then a primer color underneath. Someone mentioned something about gel coats, but I don't know if this applies to me. Anyone have experience with this? Or at least could tell me what I need to find out about the type of fiberglass I have to determine if paint will stick to it. I can't imagine why painting it like the rest of my 715 wouldn't work, but I thought I'd ask before I painted the whole thing. I have no experience at all working with fiberglass. Thank you.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I have a lot of experience painting fiberglass being in the composite lab on the Navy base. I have never used Gillespie product, but if the surface has been sanded, cleaned and prep'd right, I don't see a problem. Fisherman would know better since, he has done boats too and has used Gillespie stuff. We usually clean the surface really well with Isopropyl Alchohol and clean rags after a Al oxide blasting.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

Thats good to hear, I'll continue on with my plan of painting it then, thank you.

Now by any chance to you have any experience in patching fiberglass? I have a small "tear" in one of the window corners on my top. I need to get that fixed.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I'm not the pro tech. but I know them very well and can ask and return info. maybe with some tech write ups with pics, we can answer your questions.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

That would be awesome, I'm just looking for info on what I need to get and the procedures to do it. I have a general idea as to how I need to patch this tear, but any further more specific info, especially from some fiberglass pros would be greatly appreciated.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725