Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front End Lockers

Default Front End Lockers

I know what good rear end lockers to put in. But, what about the front?
    I know Detroit makes a complete carrier to put in the front end. But you have to reline the ring gear and pinion. Something I don't want to do. And I think Richman makes a piece that fits inside the original carrier. So what to do?
    Last edited by fwdstuck; July 6th, 2007 at 12:17 AM.

Reline the ring and pinion? What do you mean by that? It was my understanding that any locker that will fit a 30 spline Dana 60 will work in our front axle.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

When you change the carrier don't you have to reline it?

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "reline". You mean realign, as in set up the backlash and what not?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

yea

Oh, okay, now I know what your referring to. Well, it depends on how much money you want to spend, and if Detroit makes a complete carrier, or a "lunchbox" style like the rear axle. Lunchbox basically means that you get to leave the ring gear bolted to the stock open carrier, split the stock open carrier apart, and just replace the spider gears with say Detroit's locker. I'm pretty sure the D60 carrier is a one piece carrier, and therefore you can't do like the rear axle.

If you go buy a whole new locker, then yes, you'll have to unbolt the ring gear from the stock carrier and bolt it to the new carrier. This that and some other stuff and once you install it you will have to set the backlash. Don't let that discourage you, its not hard to properly do. I did this when I put my rear Power Lock limited-slip in.

Should be able to just find a locker for a 30 spline Dana 60 axle. Can anyone verify this?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Randy's or Reider both have the one locker that will fit our oddball front axle. Yes, you do have to go through the entire preload, backlash, set it up like it should be process to finish the job.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a lockright "lunch box" in the front. No different installation than the rear.

http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

A member has a 30 spline dana 60 powerlock he said I could have. Anything I need to know or will this fit our front ends? I didn't want to bring it home until I was sure it will work. Is there an offset or something I need to measure. It would be great if this one will work.

There is one more thing you need to be aware of when finding a locker or limited slip, and that is the carrier size break. For Dana axles, they make 2 different sizes of carriers. The smaller one is for 4.10 and down ratios, and the larger size is for 4.56 and up. So you need to make sure that your 30 spline D60 carrier is 4.56 and up one so it will work for our 5.87 gears.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725