Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with spare tire mounting

Default Need help with spare tire mounting

I need a little help with the mounting of my spare tire. A while ago, I moved the cross member above the rear axle to accommodate my 1100R16 spare tire. However, I never got around to fitting it into place until today. I found that my spare tire mounting bracket that I took from a parts truck differs from what is in the parts diagram in the manual and it does not fit my truck.
    Does anybody have a similar spare mounting bracket to mine in the photo? Additionally, how is it supposed to mount?
    I understand that I will need to fabricate something but I would like to keep it looking as original as possible.
    Thanks,

M715 W/W, M37

Figures I see htis now. I just got done pressure washing the front half of my brick on wheels. Once it dries a little, I'll get some pics.

Mine is MIA, sorry, I thought I had one.

I fastened up a one ton chevy cable spare tire hoist for mine. I have to wait now until I get my wheels with tires mounted to modify and change the factory spare tire holder. I'll be using both. I think I am going to change the mounting point and make it longer, I have a bent one from another member I'll use to take a piece out of. Good Luck

It looks just like the spare tire rack in my truck, Agengr's truck and Pistolnut's truck. I think your problem is with the forward mount. If you look at the diagram, you will see a 4-5 inch extension that connects the cross member to the hanger. I didn't see that in your pictures. It is basically two 3/4"x1/8" strips of flat with a bolt at each end to connect them. Since you moved the cross member, make your extensions more of an arc shape and it should work ok.

Or did I just totally not understand what you are asking for?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the help,
    Barman I think you understand, but from the diagram in the manual and looking at my bracket, I can't figure out how the strips and bolts would fit to my bracket. There is no horizontal corresponding hole to connect it to.
    I also can't figure out what the rod with the "Tee" handle does.
    Again, I can fab something up, but I wanted it to appear factory built.
    M715 W/W, M37

Tim, I think you need to look closer. That bracket doesn't look right. I will get some pics of mine tomorrow.

That bracket or spare tire sling is not factory. Maybe from another military truck? By looking at it I'm sure it could be made to work though.

I took it off a M715 that was used by a fire department and when I did it was holding a tire. When I sanded the bracket down, it had what appeared to be original OD green paint. I was in a bit of a hurry and I don't remember how it mounted. I am pretty sure it was stock.
    It may have been an earlier model, as I remember 1967. I do remember that the truck I took it from had a few other differences. The rear spring perches were odd looking as well. Here is a photo of the truck:

Last edited by Calpyro; July 30th, 2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: better photo
    M715 W/W, M37

OK, I enlarged the pictures more and studied it. That is not the same as ours. I have mine off and will look for it tonight so I can get a picture if no one else has by then. I think once you see a stock one, you will see that drilling a single hole "might" make the one you have work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw