Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Fuel Heater?

Default Diesel Fuel Heater?

Felt the need to show a little ignorance.... I was watching Ice Road Truckers and a website came to mind.

No secret that I'm heading north to Montana. During the winter, is diesel fuel gelling a big problem? Would it be worth my time and money to put a tank heater in the truck??

Ran across a website that had in-tank heaters that ran a coolant from the engine through a small tube into the fuel tank and then returned it to the system.

Thoughts, suggestions...

Thanks,
    Snuffy

Well, uh, that only helps when the motor is running. I'd get an electric one. Maybe even a coolant heater. If you install it right, it will circulate by convection.

I assumed the truck had to be running for the warm coolant to circulate through the system. I'm concerned more with driving. If there is a pretty big problem with the fuel gelling, I'd rather know now than find out the hard way.

Slice of diesel oil anyone?

I have always understood that the diesel fuel needed to be still and below -4 degrees F to gel. With a truck running, it should be ok by that theory.

I also always under stood the coolant heated fuel tanks to work in conjunction with a coolant heater for the block. I have a cold weather kit for my M35 that has a gas fueled flame heater that heats the battery box and engine block with engine coolant. I imagine a plug in type heater for the block which heats the coolant would also heat the fuel.

Or, you could just thin the fuel with gasoline a little.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Careful Tim, he didn't mention the deuce in his thread. Wouldn't that screwup a normal diesel? On the coolant heating the fuel, I can only speak for the deuce I own. I know for a fact that when the motor is running, the fuel is circulating and constantly heating up. Thus, in a deuce, that coolant powered fuel heater is money wasted.

My Gasser had different cold weather needs than your multi-fuel. But, Chris brings up a good point. John, you need a M35!
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

It was -15 degrees in Southern Wyoming last winter when I passed through. It sounds to me you'll need one for sure based on Tim's info.

Dang, I do need an M35. Who's going to start the trend with APCs?

I was in MT around the 1st of the year when Colorado and Utah where getting hammered by the cold and snow. The thought occured to me that that might be a problem with my daily driver and the 715 (and the Gator, and the tractor, and... ). Great snow on the mountain though!!

Appreciate the input! If... hahahaha... when I get a 35 it will be from Great Falls. I figure the airforce guys don't like being cold and I'll get a winterized version. When's the M-35 Zone going on line?

Someone else said that I broke the 715zone-5 ton barrier, you can break the APC barrier!

You will want to use blended fuel,no.1 and no.2 mixed. Most places that sell diesel get it blended. Also you want to use a fuel conditioner (anti gell additive).With the engine running your returning fuel will warm the fuel somewhat. Biggest thing is when it's cold don't use only no.2 fuel,it will gel, even with the truck running. Ask a trucker who comes from the south and gets to the northern climates in cold weather and his gelled no.2 fuel leaves him sittind along the interstate.