Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michelin XLs

Default Michelin XLs

Uh-oh, I might have to take Fastfrankie's side of the argument. I split two more today (maybe more, I only glanced at the passenger side). 40 psi and highway speeds - no problem and I'd run'em all day long. 12 psi and lots of sidewall flex and these are #2 and 3 that I've killed.

I'll post some pics tomorrow but I must say, be very picky when you buy these older surplus tires if you plan to use them.

On a side note, I also had an accessory drive belt issue today that forced me to drive home with no alternator and occasionally no power steering from up some nasty canyon at this old silver mine (we even found a stick of dynamite in one of the drill holes!). Spose it's time to carry some spares cuz they don't like revving up to a 4 wheel burnout in low-low.

Chris

Bummer Chris...sounds like a very tough day.

You don't think the heat and dry climate might have contributed to the failures. Kinda like a big oven.

Sounds like they got you home though. Bet a swamper wouldn't have gotten that far.

Seriously though, cracks or not, the XL's are tougher tires than you will get from Interco, BFG, Mickey Thompson, etc. These are rated for over 5000#. Most other tires of this size don't even get close to that rating.

Post of a pic or 2 of the carnage.

I'm sorry to hear that Chris. But, to reinforce what Kwai wrote I keep thinking about an airplane book I have read.

Ben Rich was a designer for Lockheed back in the Cold War. He helped design and build the U-2 and SR-71 along with the current Stealth fighter and many other planes. According to his book, they went out to your general area to do the first test of the U-2. They kept having trouble with the tires, fuel tank seals and canopy seals failing at super fast rates. They finally figured out it was the wind patterns bringing the crud from over LA right to the desert and it was breaking down the rubber.

The formula for the rubber parts was changed some and they also moved test locations. That is how that spot North of Las Vegas was first put to use according to the book.

My point is that sun, heat and airborn chemicals might be having the same bad effect on your tires. Of course, driving where you are at those low PSI's and on old used tires could be more than 1/2 of the problem too. I'm not trying to argue the X series of tires are perfect and never fail on their own because the do. Just pointing out some contributing factors.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If one had the unlimited funds to purchase Mitch. XLs brand new could they? Are they available to the public?
    Zone holster maker

I sure hope it's not an environmental issue because I'd sure feel bad for any servicemen running any kind of rubber tire in Iraq right now.

My uneducated guess is it's fully from the tires being older and getting hard. Once I air down so low, the tires flex like mad and the sidewall rubber can't handle the abuse and let go.

Chris

You are probably correct Chris. After all, why did we all get surplus tires with tread left? Because the have a normal use experation date and when that came, out go the tires. But, the environment, especially the heat probably had an effect in some way or other.

You have also convinced me to go no lower that 20 psi on my XZL's from now on.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Where did you get that number from Tim?

I made it up. Remember how my truck couldn't climb that big hill the first day at WITC? I had all 4 tires at 80 psi. The first time I slide back down, I made sure I was in 4x4 and tried again. Then after the next slide down, I got out and actually locked the front hubs in. The next slide down is when Doug and Joe helped me lower the tires to 50 all around. The slide down after that and we put the tires at 20. The side walls barely flexed and I made it up the hill.

I figure Lucky has his tires where they flex a lot. His tires are coming apart, so 20 is where mine barely flex. Plus, I lowered them down to 15 that night and for the rest of the FE. The runs down the road to the water hole made them howl like crazy when they normally don't. I would rather have the tires last longer than be the first up every hill.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPabst View Post
    I sure hope it's not an environmental issue because I'd sure feel bad for any servicemen running any kind of rubber tire in Iraq right now.

My uneducated guess is it's fully from the tires being older and getting hard. Once I air down so low, the tires flex like mad and the sidewall rubber can't handle the abuse and let go.

Chris
    You don't have to worry about any service men using XL's in Iraq right now because the government got rid of all these tires because they are all old.

I don't think a "new" XL has been made since 2002. Thats 5 years ago..

I have two friends in the tire business - one sells commercial and truck tires only. The other is an ASE Master Tech of almost 20 years. Both say the same thing. Michelin tires are the absolute worst and they ALL start to develop dryrot/cracking within 2-3 years. I know this is true because I have seen Michelins on like new cars (2-4 years old) and they all have cracks...tiny but there. Ask any tire guy their opinion on Michelin tires - and I don't care if you think the Military ones are different than passenger tires...they use the same rubber and molds etc. I've come to the conclusion its either the actual rubber Michelin uses or the actual procedure in which the tires are made...

I just bought 4 new Power King SUper Tractions because I wasn't going to spend the same amount for 5-8 year old XL's that were sold off by the government and are on their way out. I don't care how many plies or weight amounts the tires are rated for. I turned down a local set for $200 ($50 a piece) that were manufactured in 2001 and had dryrot. Its not worth it to me...when I buy tires I want FRESH rubber...not tires that were supporting a 10,000 pound LAV vehicle outside in the hot sun in California on an army base for the past 7 years...naah I'll pass.

And for the record, I saw a set of XL's about a year ago that had less than 100 miles on them, were garage kept and were purchased through Michelin direct special order. The guy wanted a grand for all four. I go and look and all four had cracks...so that tells me no matter who has them, how old they are, mileage is insignificant, they ALL have it...and if someone says "mine have no cracks," they are either blind or lying to you. I've seen enough sets of XL's and have mounted and balanced enough tires in my life to know this is true...
    Last edited by Fastfrankie; August 8th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.