Thread: Getting ready to begin the swap

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Getting ready to begin the swap

Well, finally at the start of next week, I will begin the initial stages of my 396/TH400 swap into my 715. It will be mobile within a few weeks under its own power! Then there's the laundry list of wants.......

One question I have and wondered if anyone who has been there and done this can answer? Barrman maybe? I think he has the same combo?

I will be using a short shaft TH400 trans and would like to use the stock stub shaft into the transfer case. If I do, will that put the bell housing too far back into the firewall and cause engine clearance issues? Of course I haven't measured anything yet, so I am just asking as a preliminary step. I'd just like a general idea before I get everything swinging in place from my hoist.

I have no mounts on the frame (last owner torched them off) so positioning of the engine/trans isn't a real issue, as I can fab up pretty much anything there. The shaft length is my main concern.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

THe answer should be: lengthen/shorten the shaft. Very easy solution, and the right one.

Put the motor where it needs to be, and move/mod the other stuff.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I hate to do it, but I agree with Taco.
    Put the motor/trans where it works best and put the t-case in the middle so your drive shafts are the same length (lets you only cary 1 spare).
    Or you could do the Mark thing and get it all mocked up and change your mind (chicken out?) or the Taco thing and just leave it there to rust, or the Ron thing and take it all apart, put it 3/4 back together and leave it. lol Nah! Get it running! Work the other things out later.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    I hate to do it, but I agree with Taco.
    Put the motor/trans where it works best and put the t-case in the middle so your drive shafts are the same length (lets you only cary 1 spare).
    Or you could do the Mark thing and get it all mocked up and change your mind (chicken out?) or the Taco thing and just leave it there to rust, or the Ron thing and take it all apart, put it 3/4 back together and leave it. lol Nah! Get it running! Work the other things out later.

Ron
    I know how that can happen, but I really have narrowed my projects down over the last year or so, so that I can actually finish a few of them and enjoy using them too!

I don't plan to move the transfer case if I don't have to, but we'll see. I do like the idea of one length driveshaft so a trail fix would be easy.

I am hoping to just get it underway under its own power, I can play with the stub shaft length and position the engine where it needs to be. Enough room for the radiator and fan and no rubbing the firewall.

That engine trans combo is a little to long to use the stock driveshaft. What I used was a c.v. housing, and a short slip yoke, no tubing required. This was the perfect length for the engine placement. And I also used a short water pump, and centered the engine off the original fan shroud, so I had no cooling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelBob View Post
    That engine trans combo is a little to long to use the stock driveshaft. What I used was a c.v. housing, and a short slip yoke, no tubing required. This was the perfect length for the engine placement. And I also used a short water pump, and centered the engine off the original fan shroud, so I had no cooling issues.
    Thanks! I kinda though that there would be little room up front with that length driveshaft, but wasn't sure. I think I may remove all the front sheetmetal for unfettered access when making the mounts. That will allow me to get at everything easily.