Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Dodge 5.9 360 engine

Default 1997 Dodge 5.9 360 engine

I have a 1997 Dodge 5.9 360 gas engine with only 17,000 miles on it. I actually purchased it froma wreck about 5 years ago for my Dodge pickup.
    Well the Ram still runs perfect at 186,000 miles but has a blown trans.
    I have retired the truck and the spare 360 just sits there under a cover.
    Its a complete engine not to mention the one in the Ram.
    QUESTION: Does anyone have any input as far as the idea of putting it in my 67 M715? I also have a J300 with at 230 in it. My neighbor claims it was owned by an old guy up the road since new and it went approx 1 mile to and from his store everyday before it was retired to a plow truck. Supposedly it has something like 65-70k on it.
    The remains of the truck is basically a rot box disaster.The hood is do-able,grille is good,maybe some misc odds and ends. The frame is good and the axles are good. The truck has the original plow pump, but my M715 has a Fisher already.
    I will be taking off the head and intake/carb, but if anyone is interested in the rest let me know.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The Dodge 360 would be a good transplant into the M715 and relatively easy to do. If you had all the wiring and fuel injection goodies from the donor truck that would be even better. You would most likely need the trans too if you used the injection so that the electronics would all work out.

The newer 360's are roller lifter engines and I am not sure if there are carburetor intakes available for them. There are some differences in the oiling to the valve train on the newer models because of the roller setup, so there may be a difference in the heads and intake too.

I have a 99 3/4 ton Dodge extended cargo van with a 5.2 318 and it is pretty strong and pulls my 14 ft trailer no problem with the van loaded too. Its been pretty trouble free and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    If you had all the wiring and fuel injection goodies from the donor truck that would be even better. You would most likely need the trans too if you used the injection so that the electronics would all work out.
    Wouldn't the 5.87 gears in the axles mess with the electronics? Or would a guy have to swap axles too? Probably not a bad idea to do that. What's the Dodge got for axles anyway?
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Wouldn't the 5.87 gears in the axles mess with the electronics? Or would a guy have to swap axles too? Probably not a bad idea to do that. What's the Dodge got for axles anyway?
    The speed sensor is in the trans on the Dodge, so it shouldn't make any difference. The 5.87's and the tire size will make the speedo reading off a ways.

I'm not sure what Dodge uses in the 1/2 tons, but the Cummins uses what looks like a 70 rear and 60 front. Maybe some corporate stuff though.

ya.....a 360 would be sweet, and as far as i know those blocks are getting hard to find becouse they have a 318 a 340 and they stopped making the 360. and ive hered their a good motor and my buddy in oregon has one rebuilt in his 75 powerwagon....i havent seen it yet, but he had a 318 in it befor and that thing was sweet...
    my signature is sweet huh?

I have a 96 5.9l with almost 150,000 in a 3/4 ton conversion van...it gets run alot in town and on the highway...tows...even flat towed the M715.

I have thought about the swap a bit too...plenty of power unless you are going full competition or something...

I would get the overdrive trans and get it overbuilt to make sure it will hold up ...use a MASSIVE trans cooler!

I love the gear ratios this combo provides with stock axles IF you add a KluneV with te 2.77 low range...the 4.0 unit is overkill...

Stock truck high range 360/OD/205/Klune High range
    ________37.45___________14.38
    ________18.14___________8.51
    _________9.9____________5.87
    _________5.87___________4.05

One loses the very low first gear but 2nd, 3rd and 4th stock compare very well to 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the OD...the overdrive is sweet, allowing 60 MPH at 2367 rpms and 70 MPH at 2762...thats 70 at 700 rpm less than a stock truck does 60.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock truck low range 360/OD/205 low range/Klune high range
    ________73.4__________31.87
    ________35.55_________16.7
    ________19.4__________11.5
    ________11.5__________7.9

Stock truck low range 360/OD/205 high range/Klune low range
    ________73.4__________39.83
    ________35.55_________23.6
    ________19.4__________16.3
    ________11.5__________11.2
    Note that the 1st gear is pretty close to the stock high range first gear...the Klune in low and the 205 in high makes some decent off road gear...not up to stock but not bad.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock truck low range 360/OD/205 low range/Klune low range
    ________73.4__________88.28
    ________35.55_________46.3
    ________19.4__________31.9
    ________11.5__________21.9

Better than stock gearing all around. If you need rock crawling gears, these are getting there. OD is pretty close to the stock third gear low range...the highest gear I use on trails usually.

And remember, you get some added torque multiplication off the line with the auto that helps the low rpm gear ratios a little more.

If I only had the money, I would have this already....or a big block...I really like the short stroke/large bore 383 and 400 Dodge engines with these gears...

The 318 went Magnum in 1992 and 360 went to a Magnum design in 1993, thus the older engines, LA series, lack complete interchange...most stuff doesnt.
    The 318 went out of production in 2002 and the 360 was going out in favor of the hemi in 2003 or so.

The 340 was only made from 68-73...thus it would be rarer...and it ws never a Magnum so....

I'm thinking of just taking the entire engine,trans and X-fer case out of my old 95 Ram 2500 and putting it in my M715. The 360 in the Ram runs flawlessly with approx 180,000 miles on it, but I have a spare 97 360 with 17,000 miles on it and I would probably swap them simply because I have the low mileage spare.
    Anyway, I would also use the computer etc from the Ram.
    My trans needs to be rebuilt though. I was hauling a 3000lb. pallet of blasting grit and finally smoked it. It only works in reverse.
    Well, I would love to do it, but I cant even manage to get my power steering done never mind finding the time to do that.

A small block Mopar is an easy swap. The Magnum engine's computer may have a few issues with the gearing but you should be able to get a converter to modify the speed sensor signals. There are carburated intakes for Magnum engines also if you wanted to take the easy route. Parts will swap from the Magnum series and the older LA series engines, but you have to know exactly what. I had a carburated 360 Magnum in my '72 Charger and it ran very well. One thing to keep in mind is the balance of the 360 Magnum engine. They have a unique balance weight and require a 360 Magnum specific flywheel. The LA series 360 is also externally balanced but uses a different weight for balance so the flywheel/torque converter will not work. If you are keeping the transmission this is no problem for you, but it is something to think about if you make changes later.

On the roller bit, all Mopar small blocks have been roller cam engines since 1988, which is the same year they went with EFI. The Magnum engines retained the roller cam and basic block design, but the head oil through the pushrods instead of through a passage in the head with the LA series. The heads are totally different and the intake bolts are vertical, not angled as with the LA series. LA intake will fit, but must be welded and drilled for the new mounting holes. Shorty headers that are compatible with the MPI system are available but pricey as well as other horsepower mods.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Thanks El! Wondered but didnt know about those differences.