Thread: What type of Automatic shifter do you use?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default What type of Automatic shifter do you use?

For any of you guys that have converted to Automatic trans, what type of shifter do you use?

I want to go with something that looks less like a race car and more truck like. Ultimately I'd like it to look like the stock manual trans shifter. Maybe I will mod something. Any ideas?

Well I'm not running an auto, but have given it much thought and I had thought of usind the exsisting shifter and hole in floor for a "stock" look and just make it a straight shift. You'de have to do some head scratching to get it to work, but basically push the shifter forward and your in park, then down one click for R, two for N, three for D etc.
    Zone holster maker

I had a B&M racheting shifter in mine. If I did it again, I wouldn't go the same route. It works just fine, but it took too much time to ratchet back and forth from 1st all the way back up to Reverse. I'd only recommend using a ratcheting shifter with a reverse valve body.

If you had posted this two weeks ago I just parted a J4000 with an auto on the post--Considered keep it just in case but I'm up to my arse in "just in case" treasure-sadly its likely headed to china in a block of steel now.

I have the B&M shifter in my SBC '715 and I don't particularly like it. But I don't have any experience with other shifters. I think I might try an Art Carr shifter next.

I may mod a stock shifter and hide the inner workings under the floor.

Look in the hot rod mag,s for LOKAR shifters, they have a long stick to replicate an old car top loader.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Look in the hot rod mag,s for LOKAR shifters, they have a long stick to replicate an old car top loader.
    I've got a good friend who builds a lot of rods and he suggested that too, but I think they look a little too "nice" for lack of a better way. The mechanicals of them may be what I need though. I want to even use the original black knob on top.