Thread: Military Spec number for paint?

Default Military Spec number for paint?

Ok so I tried to have my paint matched at NAPA. Their computer didnt seem to like my paint-kept saying it contained metallic....so I went to their other store in the next town--same deal. Stopped again today and the guy called Dupont to get the mix. Mixed up some paint and it looks right-of course its gloss. Guy called back and Dupont said they could add flattner to the mix(basically give the exact paint mix) if they had the military spec number on the paint. Its not OD 24087 is it??? Seems it should be some long MIL-xxxx-xxxx number?

That is the right number...dont know what the problem is though.

I couldnt recall the number (24087) offhand to give to the Dupont people. So if thats the Mil SPec number they say they can give the correct mix. I have no idea why the "scanner" didnt like it. Both stores did the same thing? It was the paint of the back of the data plate so its not as though it would have anything on it--oils or armorall or ??? When it wouldnt read we cleaned it up with windex but still got the same readings.

Have you looked into Gilespie (sp) paint, I priced it out and could get a case of it for about 100 bucks or so. I looked in the Military Vehicles Magazine and there were about 5 or 6 dealers all priced about the same.

Yeah I did-and the price of the paint wasnt the issue-it was the boxing and shipping costs-which were more than the paint!

UPS Charges;
    $ 21.00 Hazardous Material Fee
    $ 4.50 to $ 7.00 Box Fee ( 1 & 2 Gallon, 4 Gallon respectively)
    Add UPS shipping rate to all that...
    AJP NOW HAS 4 GALLON BOXES.

AJP now has the ability to ship 1, 2, or 4 gallons of paint in a single box. We have run the numbers for shipments to both zone 8 (West coast) and zone 2 (East coast) which represent the maximum and minimum you could expect depending on where you live. If you live inbetween your costs will fall somewhere in between as well. Here are the numbers:

ZONE 2.

1 Gallon shipment = $ 68.25 per gallon
    2 Gallon shipment = $ 50.38 per gallon
    4 Gallon shipment = $ 39.44 per gallon

The FS595A number is 24087. What you might need is the FSN or NSN and I couldn't find it doing a quick web search. I know I had some PPG mixed a few years ago and the color was Chrysler Forest Green and then you added x amount of flatner to the paint with you mixed it with thinner prior to spraying. Don't know if that helps or not.
    Zone holster maker

Hmmm-Dont know if that helped or created a whole new issue for me. I found a boatload of info on FS595B color but no so much on FS595A. Well I guess all I can do is ask the guy to call Dupont again and see if their database is up to par.