Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shackle flip

Default shackle flip

can you guys post pics of your shackle flips
    my signature is sweet huh?

Like front to back or up to down?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

the rear shackel flip. i did mine a couple weeks ago, and the shackel is in a wered position and just wondering what others look like

How about posting your pictures? I have not done mine yet and need to see what is involved.

ok, ill try and find some pics for you....its prety easy, all i did was the cut out the front leaf hangers in the rear and fliped them around, the hardest part is cutting the back side of the hanger becouse it goes through the fram and is welded to a plate, i cut around the pin, then cut the rivets in the plate. got the plate off, and then found out that i needed to trim the pin becouse of the slag, and the left over metal still no the pin other wise it wont fit through the hole in your frame rail. so i just cut the pin as close to where the slag was, then frome their i pulled it out, and put a pipe over the pin to make up what i had cut off, and to fill in some of the gap where your going to have to weld the plate on the back side.

your frame rail will have two holes, one where the pin used to go through, and one directly under it. when you put the pin back in the hole your going to need to make the hole bigger.

and the stock holes should still match up.

if you dont do this your pinion angle will be sky high.

then here comes the shackel...depends how high you want the rig. but all you need to do it un bolt the leaf spring, and turn the shackle so it hanges twords the ground. i lengthend mine so i have more of a lift, and thats up to you for how hight you want it lifted...and i ran into a problem on my truck, and it was my shackel positin. i still havent fixed this becouse its not so bad now that i have a longer shackel on it, but it was almosed like i needed to move the shackel hanger twords the front about a inch., not shure if your going to have this problem becouse nick said that his truck wasent like that..

heres the pitch that i was talking about...i think i might move my hanger forward a little becouse it might make a softer ride, and offer more flex.

then if you want a lift shackel this is what i made, i cut the stock shackel in half, then extended it

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post

heres the pitch that i was talking about...i think i might move my hanger forward a little becouse it might make a softer ride, and offer more flex.

then if you want a lift shackel this is what i made, i cut the stock shackel in half, then extended it

[
    you are right the ride will improve with the steeper angle. as will droop.

cut and butt weld on spring shackles is far less than ideal. the twisting motion of the springs can fatigue the welds. i would bend some flat stock into the shape/length you need.

ya, thats why i had put some braces inside of the shackle. it should be prety strong now, i put one in the middle of the old and the new, so they are both welded up good they shouldent move, and along with that we use a high grade wire, and got good penetration, so should work prety good.

ill have to move the hanger forward.

Default Oh me!

Foodstamp, I'm worried about you (be careful)!

should be fine, nick did his like that too except he used a chevy lowering kit, and welded it it like mine...idont know ill have to check it out once and a while, maby put a dimond shape plate over the weld for some more strength.

it wasent exactly a butt weld, i had V it out prety good, so it should be good, im prety confident it will work. but ya i can alwase put the dimond plate over the weld to be safe

Hey Stamp,
    In that first pic of the front hanger, you might want to throw some good and thick Grade 8 washers on those bolts that go through the frame to help distribute stress directly from the bolt heads. Looks like the the hanger was scarfed out a little which makes for an irregular mounting surface...all the more reason to add the washers. Keep pluggin' away at er' Jay