Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOS gas tanks...

Default NOS gas tanks...

Anyone know if any of the usual suspects sell them, or perhaps any un-usual suspects? I am just trying to price-out all of my options with my rusty tank.
    It's $85+tax to get it cleaned out, + prices for DIY coating range from $50ish and up, if the radiator shop coats it they want another $100.
    A 4'x4' sheet of 14gauge stainless is $270 + tax and I have friends who can bend it up and weld it basically for free. A fuel-cell is $300 and up and I would have to alter the filler....
    SO back to the original question any NOS tanks to be had?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Have never seen or heard of one anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Have never seen or heard of one anywhere.
    WOW quick, and painful....
    I had a feeling.

Sorry....really. I am so glad mine is in good shape...

Is your tank rusted through, or just a bit flakey? Have you tried the old trick of dropping a length of chain in it and driving around for a week or two with it in the back of your truck or something? I've heard that can really get the tanks cleaned out well. With a little gas or turpentine or such in it too, I suppose? Any other ideas out there?

Of course, if the tank is rusted through, it's a lost cause....
    -- Tim Taylor

There is a company that advertises in the back of MV magazine that says for about 300 bucks they will totally refurb your original tank. They will fab panels, rework baffles and whatever it takes to make it like new. They also offer a "ceramic" lining that's guaranteed for life. I almost did it but coin got thin around here.
    I did take it over and have it boiled and lined by some locals but the gummy, gloppy red rubber lining they put in makes me wonder about a current dieing problem I'm now having. All filters check good after replacement and disection, but I can just mentally invision a palm sized sheet of the stuff floating around my tank....more work...
    Anyway, if you find a source for tank replacement by all means let us know about it, perhaps the guy who does it will have a steady source of orders for the next year from all of us wanting new ones...

Mine is not rusted through, yet... There is just a bunch of rust and crud that found it's way to the filter I put in line before the pump. It only took a few min. for the filter to turn reddish. Also the pump put in by the PO died, I think from the debris pumping through it. I have yet to make a decision on the path I will take but in a few days I will know, so shall you.
    Thanks guys.
    Jeff

If your buddy is a good fabricator and is willing to do you a favor, I'd go with a stainless steel reproduction. Factory look, moderate price, never rust again... that would be hard to beat.

Looks like I will be fabbing a Stainless Steel tank up. I got a good deal on a sheet, so I am going to give it a shot. With the size of the sheet I should have enough for 2, so if it comes out nice and not too difficult, I may have one up for sale . I will post some pictures as I go.
    Jeff

I used a tank from 'Skyline' boats, it's 28gal's, alum, fit right in the stock location, and since the truck sit's all the time, NO MORE RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!