Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Automatic Trans

Default M715 Automatic Trans

I am new to the site and have enjoyed the education.

I have a 1968 M715, and was thinking of making it into an everyday vehicle. Id like love to get some guidance on adding an automatic transmission and other changes that would make it more of a daily driver.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welp, welcome to the zone. The first thing I'd ask is how far do you want to take the modification process. If you're planning on staying stock eng/trans, I'd still recommend an NP 205 Transfer case swap, thats' always a real bone of contention. Next make sure the brakes are up to speed and will stop the truck. Lotsa people have installed and upgraded to a split Master Cyl., myself included. As far as the engine...sky's the limit. If it runs okay, most would say "just run it". But they tend to be a little odd-ball as far as parts and rebuild capabilities.
    I guess the same advice always given applies here too, it's your truck, do it any way YOU want it to be. Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you may think of, there are puh-lenty of knowledable people to be found here.

Auto trans will limit PTO winch unless you go with a NP205 to run the PTO.
    Auto with overdrive good thing, will help on gas milage. NP200 will not like it over 50mph Heat and whiiiiine will become an issue. Knees will like it but there is still something about shifting gears. I have really thought about it but like the manual.

An auto with overdrive wont let the NP200 spin any slower...it will probably still have heat issues...fr constant dring above 50 MPH, get an NP202 or 205.

I am willing to go the distance with the modification, and of course hanging onto the original parts...

I was thinking (dreaming) of an automatic, new motor, front and rear diffs (I am assuming I will need), power brakes & steering, and maybe AC. I dont want to cut its balls off, however I will need it to keep up on the highway, and be relatively comfortable since I spend most of the day running around NYC.

I am also not a heavy mechanic, so Id be sourcing parts and giving to a friend whos a heavy equipment mech (he's drooling to get his hands on this...)

Thanks for the guidance. I really apprecitate it.

ok, i have heard of an np202 once or twice, but never anything definite. where can i find one or what did they come in?

Np202 came in International trucks, not sure what else. They are a divorced case similiar to a Np205. I've heard they are stronger, but can't verify that. They look to be similiar in size to a 205 with maybe a slightly heavier cast case.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Np202 came in International trucks, not sure what else. They are a divorced case similiar to a Np205. I've heard they are stronger, but can't verify that. They look to be similiar in size to a 205 with maybe a slightly heavier cast case.
    Heavier??!! I don't think anything could weigh more than an NP200!! Except maybe foodstamp's 3-53 Detroit!

The NP205 is the 1 ton and down version and the NP202 is the 1 to 1½ ton version...both are the newer version of the NP200.

To answer your questions:
    If money is not an issue but reliability and safety is:
    Crate GM motor w/FI and OD trans w/ married t-case (prefferably gear vs chain) and D60/14bolt axles - you can do the inside seating/roll bar/seatbelt as desired.

If you want to keep the origional look the 230 is a good motor that will start every time even in the dead of winter tho mating an automatic to it would be a first I think. Otherwise a straight 6 w/auto trans is easy and you could re-gear the axles from their current 5.87:1 to a highway friendly 4.56:1 and make sure to re-do the brakes. The stock drums are pretty good but parts are getting scarce - I'm assuming that in NYC you are going to NEED good brakes - 'yall are crazy drivers!

Best suggestion would to be to turn your mechanic buddy onto this site and have him use the search button - just about any swap you can think of has already been done and documented.