Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 Round H4 Headlight Conversion

That's what I was thinking--I don't run high beams when other cars are around anyway as you noted. But since extra lights get smacked by branches and such, it'd be kind of nice to eliminate them and just have really good high beams. I think that'll be the plan...

Now, I've got to find out if Beast does the "Jeep" stickers for the side of the tub behind the front fenders....
    -- Tim Taylor

In my old Dodge Power Wagon, years ago I converted it to 12V. I wired the headlights through a relay and use 90/130W bulbs. Crazy amount of light. In fact, one of the high beams burned out years ago, I have a new bulb, I just haven't replaced it because I don't need the light! Needless to say, the truck see VERY little road time, and I don't believe I have ever driven it on road at night. I don't think even the 90W low beams would pass for legal. Really neat and simple conversion/upgrade.

Dave

No, it's my understanding that 55W is the legal limit for low-beams. Don't quote me on that though. Not sure what high-beam limit is, but surely it's under 100W. Or 90! But as long as I'm legal (or close enough to it) at low beam, I'd be okay with it.
    -- Tim Taylor

Those are the ones Binford....they are bright but they are within specs on watts for 24V bulbs.

There is nothing like good lighting. Those replacements are so much better than USA ones. The light distribution is superior on the European buckets. Tim I run 80/100 bulbs and absolutely never get brighted. The cut off line is fine. The best part is the shoulder 45 degree angle beam that lights up the right shoulder. Get the 80/100's which are more common and aim them right. They will then compare to todays modern low beams which are crisp.

This is a good place.

http://www.rallylights.com/

Never buy the Hella Vision Plus replacements. They are a neutered version of the standard E beam and only mildly better than DOT bulbs. A total waste of money.

I will walk you through building a relayed low and high circuit. It's easy and very cheap. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't want to hijack here but I want some of these! Add on's.
    These are able to be focused from long distance to flood with a twist. These are Aussie made and on all the truck trains over there.

http://off-roadlights.com/xcart/prod...cat=250&page=1

Tim have you considered some AUX lighting up front? What about extra back up lights mounted sideways so they can swing around the side of the Jeep? Camp site light or change a tire.
    What about chassis lights in case you have a night time repair? Under dash lights? Dome light?

Christmas is coming you know. It would fit right in.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I love my Hella's..

Me too! I dont really see an on road need for more than the bulbs I have...

I see the 24 volt bulbs can be bought new for under $10:

http://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/O-64196

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Tim I run 80/100 bulbs and absolutely never get brighted. The cut off line is fine. The best part is the shoulder 45 degree angle beam that lights up the right shoulder. Get the 80/100's which are more common and aim them right.
    I dunno, Al... They're 32 cents more than the 100/55w....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Tim have you considered some AUX lighting up front? What about extra back up lights mounted sideways so they can swing around the side of the Jeep? Camp site light or change a tire.
    What about chassis lights in case you have a night time repair? Under dash lights? Dome light?
    Just freshening it up at this point. All that stuff can come later....
    -- Tim Taylor

I put a set of the Hellas on my truck using the 55/100 H4's also.
    Like others have said the 55's where adequate for street driving, and the 100's were really nice when I needed the extra light.

Well, my 80/100s will have arrived by the time I get home from this week's travels around the state. Too bad I won't be able to try them out for a while! But I'm really looking forward to some serious light....
    -- Tim Taylor