Thread: king pin

Default king pin

question: on the steering arm is the king pin and on the king pin is a half moon pin that fits into a brass cone. first off what is the half moon pin's job?
    second is it neccessary for offroad only purposes?

thanks

I would assume that pin keeps the correct tollerances between the kingpin shaft and the brass cone bearing. That way things can be lubed properly with the proper clearance. I've looked at that and thought now why if this turns and that turns why do I need the pin. I lost one, and then replaced it just in case. I'm not sure I would worry too much about off road use. Keep in mind though you may end up wasting that kingpin, and bushing.

I have looked at that too and had the same thought. Somebody on here figured out what bearing will replace that bronze part. I think it is in the manuals somewhere. But, I figured with stock or just a little bit bigger tires on stock rims, I wasn't going to be putting much more stress than designed on the bronze part and decided not to fix something that was working.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The half moon shear pin keeps the wear on the correct place on the bushing.

Allowing the smaller side with the shear pin to turn on the ?locater pin? will result in exagerated wear. The under side of that bushing has more surface area and is also grooved for lube channels...it will wear slower and more evenly.

I would advise taking the extra time to get it together right, but it it the end of the world for a trail rig?... You can decide that for yourself.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.