Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another change in direction - Futura comes to Virginia

Default Another change in direction - Futura comes to Virginia

Work has been a real pain this past year and, following a major restructuring at work, my free time will be a premium for the next couple of years. Faced with more work and less free time I had to either abandon the M715 project or change directions (again!). After talking it over with my wife (she gave me a thumbs up) I decided to buy Tom Lawlor's Futura M715 project with the 6.2 diesel and NV4500 and sell off the other two I have (had planned to marry the two into one rust free M715 and sell the remaining one as almost rust free). While not complete, the drivetrain swapTom did on this truck (6.2/NV4500/divorced 205) along with some other custom works will move me forward significantly.

Picked the truck up this past week (got caught in the big storm in PA on the way back). For those of you who do not know Tom Lawlor (spicergear) he is first glass and know his stuff on these vehicles as well as being a first class custom fabricator.

He took me for a ride in his 05 truck challenge M715 with the BB chebby and Rockwells - words cannot describe the power and ability of that truck! We climbed almost straight up (and down) with it - it was awesome!

Anyway, Futura has found a new home and name in Virginia. Hence forth it will be "The Big Cheese" (inside joke in the family but the current orange color makes it work).

Stay tuned for updates and also the selling off of the parts I had accumulated for the original project (don't need three M715's). I will be offering up some interesting trade in the coming weeks.

How 'rust free' are your cabs? I still need somewhat rust free one.

Congrats!
    Last edited by Chumley; December 17th, 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Doh!

Default Nice truck

Is that your Home in the background?

You mean this?

No, that's just where he's gonna be sleeping for a while after bringing home another M-truck!

You're going to have a sweet setup when you're done, Grantshire!
    -- Tim Taylor

Awesome Richard. I expect to see you at the FE in Colorado then. Well now since your quite a few steps ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcj View Post
    Is that your Home in the background?
    Yes, that is back side of my main fixer-upper and also the reason I don't have much Jeep time (my honey-do list is in volumes). It is an 1829 Federal style house we have been restoring for the past 20+ years. We are in the country so my furnaces (3) are propane and I swear I see dollar bills coming out the exhaust every time it cuts on. To lessen the pain I have an outdoor woodfired boiler that is hooked into the central air system. Great source of heat but she burns some wood.

airbourne - send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some pictures of the other M715's. Both cabs are pretty nice and one has been sand blasted and had any rot removed even came with new replacement rockers.

Tod - don't know if I will be ready by then and not sure i want to pull this thing all the way there with my Suburban. I think I aged 5 years pulling Big Cheese home from PA in the ice storm. With about 6,000 pounds of M715 on my trailer plus the Dodge 60 that was in the M715's bed it was a load!

I am very pleased with the truck and spicergears workmanship. Now to begin my modifications and upgrades to make The Big Cheese into what I want.

BTW, I used to think Rockwells were too big until I saw Tom's Truck Challenge M715 with the 44" tires. That is one monster of a truck!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Glad to see that 715 will get a good home!

Let me know what your plans are for the other two. Of course, I may need to move into the garage too, if I start yet another project!!

Congrats!

It's offical: I hate you! LOL!

You got the truck and the house I've wanted....

Congrats on the purchase and keep us posted. First order of business on that truck is to make it OD....
    Zone holster maker

Man I would look sweet with those colors driving up and down neyland dr in the fall LOL..

For some reason all the ones that have passed through my hands have been brown chartruese or some weird shade of green never used by the army. That two tone actually looks good to me (only a vol fan I know).