Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel gauge for 6.2 and 12 volt?

Question fuel gauge for 6.2 and 12 volt?

Getting to know Big Cheese (formerly Futura) a little better. Bled the brakes today so I would have rear brakes - man, that is using the term brakes loosely. These things are hard to stop with stock brakes.

In addition to the 6.2 diesel/NV4500/205 conversion the truck has also been converted to 12 volt. There are three new Sunpro gauges and the stock speedometer still works (that will have to go since it has a 60 mph top speed listing) but no fuel gauge. I talked with Tom and he said the stock sending unit was still in the tank. What do I need to do to get a operational fuel gauge? Also, speaking of gauges, I like having a tach, pay more attention to them than the speedometer. How do I hook up a tach on the 6.2?

Sorry if these are "dummy" questions, I just don't know much about diesels or these trucks. I find the latter frustrating since I consider myself fairly Jeep savy. The M715 may look like a FSJ on steroids but every time I turn around I find its completely different.

There is no gauge that will work on 12 volts AND be compatible with the stock sending unit.

Your best bet is this matched gauge and sender that is known to work in the M715:

Napa will sell you the whole setup. The part #501-1742 and has the sending unit (tank) plus the gauge (dash) included.

I tried to search the online Napa site but the part number doesnt come up...it has been used by several members so it should still be available.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Your best bet is this matched gauge and sender that is known to work in the M715:

Napa will sell you the whole setup. The part #501-1742 and has the sending unit (tank) plus the gauge (dash) included.
    Thanks. Anyone have a picture of what this gauge and sending unit looks like?

As stated above three of my gauges are new, but they are Sunpro. I don't know much about the brand quality but I always thought they were low end. Don't know if that matters but my gauge cluster plan is to put a custom panel in the truck using an early CJ speedometer (90 mph version) and other CJ gauges. This gives me a large, easily seen speedometer and readily available gauges. The CJ speedo cluster has a fuel gauge built in so, if I have to buy both a gauge and sending unit, is there any reason I can't/should'nt just go ahead with the CJ setup?

Well...the sender and the gauge need to match so that setup might work...thje problem will be:

Does the CJ sending unit bolt in the M715 tank.

If, like most regular production automotive stuff, CJ's use a ring you knock out from around the outside and then pull the sending unit up, it wont. The M715 uses what is called a universal bolt pattern...there are 5 bolts NOT quite evenly spaced in a circle...I'll see if I can find a pic...

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/senders.htm

There are 3 little images at the top, then text, then 2 images and more text. The 2 images show the kind of sending unit you need and the gasket. I dont remember the tank depth, but I think is in the 16-17 inch area...the one I linked can be "made to fit" in enough depth range for the M715.

ANY sending unit with a matched gauge that has this bolt pattern for the sending unit will work.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    There is no gauge that will work on 12 volts AND be compatible with the stock sending unit.

I tried to search the online Napa site but the part number doesnt come up...it has been used by several members so it should still be available.
    Just ordered that guage from my local Napa yesterday. It runs $41.00 total for the guage and sending unit. I have used them several times for boat applications as well. The sender is adjustable for different depth tanks too which is handy.

Brute,
    I am running into the same problem. My truck has been converted over to 12 volt with the original gauge still in the dash.......Not Working either. I will order this Napa part number as well.......Do I have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit? I assume one can reuse the the wiring coming up to the gauge? I sure appreciate the info!!!

I've seen that same NAPA part number given out on other vehicle forums too as a good all-around replacement setup.

Yes, I think you have to drop the tank in order to pull the old sending unit out and install the new one, after adjusting it for your tank size.

The same wire *should* be able to be reused, but often you'll find cracks in the 40-year-old insulation or wear from rubbing on the frame or whatnot have essentially ruined it. But if I were doing it, I'd certainly try using the original wire first.

If you (or anyone else) does this, how about snapping a few pics along the way and posting the procedure, noting any issues that you ran into in the process, etc.?! That kind of stuff would be really handy and well appreciated.
    -- Tim Taylor

You must drop the tank as the sending unit bolts in from the top.

Ditto on the wiring...if its the factory wire, it can be reused but it may be prudent to change it out as long as you are in there.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My sender will be in on Wednesday and sometime this week I will post up the pics of it when I install it.

The tank needs to be dropped to do it, or if you happen to have the bed off for some reason......

I sure appreciate the info!!!...........This site is awesome for the New M715 OWNER!!!