Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear steer rockwell?

Default rear steer rockwell?

I used a front and rear rockwell axle under my m715. The rear was a tight fit with springs in the stock location.(picture below) Looking at how little room there is, would it be worth putting a steering axle in the rear? I do not think it could turn much. Taco, you have Barry's old frame. How did you/ he do it?

Last edited by Binford; December 31st, 2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Cleaned up pic link

Rear steer is overated. Now settle down.

You have to move the springs under the frame.

Oh, are your rear hubs still 'in'?
    With a steer axle and the hubs 'out', you will get more clearance.
    But you still need to move the springs under the frame.

Tom has a regular rear axle in his "TTC" truck seems to work very well

Hubs are out. It is a stock deuce wheel, so all inward offset. After putting the rear in the m715 I was just curious how people did the rear steer. It dose not look like there would be enough room. I guess with the spring in and a better offset wheel. Just curious. (I have an extra steering axle and started thinking, but that thought did not last long.)

IIRC, Tacoma had to do some work on the frame he got from Barry in order to make room for the rear steer, but hadn't yet done so. I figured he'd have piped up here by now. Where are ya, Tac? This thread is right up your alley, man!
    -- Tim Taylor

Hey all. Yeah, I bought Barry's junk. As is, the springs are under the frame. But after some eyeballing and measuring I believe I'm going to have to narrow the rear section, Drag car style: Cut the frame, move the rails in and weld to some crossmembers.

Not worried about any heat-treating that the frame might have, because it's going to be tied to the cage, and I'm running tube the full length of the frame anyway.

Considering linking it, as well, to keep the rear effective spring rate decent. Moving the springs in far enough to clear the turned wheels gives the rear a TON of leverage over the front, and I don't want the rear doing all the work... and out here, linking that wouldn't be much more work. *shrug*

But yeah, you can't just toss rear steer on there.

ONE MORE THING! I had to ditch the bed to do it, as well, and will just be running modified bedsides. The stock wheelwells are too small for turning 46's. Something else to think about.
    **I heart Bump_r **

That is what I figured. Thanks.

check out this one featured in jp a couple months ago. Maybe you can see something useful.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve...715/index.html