Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Volt Starter Questions

Default 12 Volt Starter Questions

As mentioned in other posts, my '715 came with SOME 12 volt conversion and I am going back to 24 volt. The battery now is 12 volt for sure and the starter operates with a remote solenoid with a key switch on the dash. There are no markings on the starter. I got a 24 volt original starter to replace the existing one and this one has no markings either. They are identical in appearance.

I now wonder if the one in there now is in fact a 24 volt, just turning over slower on 12 volt. Do 12 volt starters exist for the '715 that do not have the attached solenoid like most starters? In other words, 12 volt starters that need either the foot switch or a remote solenoid to operate?

I can do pictures if that will help but not much to show.

Some food for thought.

I had a starter rewound for 12 volt operation, and sold it to someone back east somewhere.

I don't recall any markings that were added to it. Could have been and I don't remember. It's been said I suffer from CRS.

Point being, someone could have done the same thing. Doesn't help with your question though.

12v starters were available for the civilian 230. They look and operate identical to the 24v starter.

Hard to tell, maybe check the resistance of the windings?

Chris

They do NOT look identical...I have one of each and they are different externally...one is 12 volt and one is 24 volt...note the band on the body of the one...that one is 12 volt...slimmer case and a big belt around the middle...there are a few other differences...screws recessed a bit, bolt sizes...nothing else too obvious...

The 12v starter I had looked like your 24v starter. Anyhow, close enough to know that the 12v starter dosen't have a solenoid.

Chris

I have 4 24 volt starters that all look like the one above without the bet and ave seen 3 of the 12 volt ones and they all had the belt.

Could yours have been rewound?

The civvy ones have the plate with 'Prestolite' on it and '12V' printed, not stamped, on the plate.

The mil ones dont say 12 or 24V and dont say Prestolite either.

There is a plate on there, just gunked over. Got to get in there and scrape.

The civvy ones I have seen are all like the longer, skinnier one above with Prestolite printed on it and 12V printed on it.

The 4 mil ones I have all have the shorter, rounder tag with a long part number that runs from one edge of the plate to the other, just below the rivets and does not have the voltage on it.

Hope that helps.

Mine was NORS reman. Who knows where they sourced the starter motor...

Chris

Default Removed Starter

Finally got the old starter out and cleaned this weekend. Picture below. Based on the pictures provided by members here , it is a 12 volt. Label is not readable. 24 Volt now installed.