Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about lifting my 715?

Default questions about lifting my 715?

I want to lift my truck about 8 in on a low buget but i have full access to a machine shop,I would like to hang the front axle under the springs with about a 4in block between the axle and springs i think the 4 in block will give the tie rods clearence from the springs on the rear axle i am thinking to flip the shackles and spring hanger and 4 to 6 in of block i am thinking to make the blocks shaped like \_/ with the wider top going to the spring to reduce the axle flexing the springs also probly ad a leaf from a 2 1/2 ton truck I scraped out.the truck has a 300 ford 6cyl and I will be running stock wheels 34 to 38in tires either grip spurs or the non directional gi tires.any sugestions or advice if this will work or not or problems I might have ? I plan to start on it this week end thanks

Uh, I'm gonna give you a big fat NO on the front lift blocks. A springover will give you about 8 or 9 inches of lift by itself. The tie rod can be relocated to the top of the arms easily. The rear shackle/hanger flip will even the whole thing out. Do a search, the whole procedure should be here somewhere.

Oh by the way, stock 9.00 16's are about 34", and the truck will fit most 38's without a lift of any kind.

I agree, spring over is all you would need. I have 38.5 tires on mine and no lift. What makes you think you ned the lift? If you plan on wheeling, the lift will change your c.o.g. and thats a minus in my book. MANY of us wheeling with out a lift and having fun. Have you taken the truck out for a spin as is?
    "We are here for the meeting!"

thanks for the imput I will plan on the axle flip with out the blocks the truck will probly spend more time on asphalt than on the trail thanks matt g

My truck with 38.5x14.5r16.5...

Typically a springover is 5.5 to 6 inches of lift on the front...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Also, you may want to check your local laws. Besides the fact that a front lift block is just plain dangerous, in some plces (like here in Virginia) its illegal, and won't pass state inspection.

the only law I know of in tn is bumper hight.I will do the axle and shackle flip with out using blocks I will go larger on the tires i am thinking 38 + in I apreciate the input and i will scrap the block idea as every one agrees they are no good Thanks matt g

Yeah, you'll catch heck for having blocks. I think they are not so bad if in the rear, but there is alot of other things I have seen done that are worse in my opinion.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The main reason you don't want blocks in the front is because they will cause more spring wrap. Its a leverage thing.

That isn't good front or rear, but up front, it can change the steering geometry, depending on how much movement there is. The design of the 715 steering isn't as susceptible to this as say a full size GM, but you get the idea. That translates into control loss. Also not good.

Blocks also are known to fracture, as anyone who has used them can attest, and in the rear, again, not as big a deal, but up front, you can guess what might happen.