Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help .. lots of questions on mods

Default need help .. lots of questions on mods

I need a little help for finding answers to all my questions ...

Now that i have my 715 ... mods needs to begins ...

First ... i'm doing a spingover/shackle flip and remove 2 leaves from each pack. ( first and third ones )
    Swap a 44 hd 8 lugs 4.10 with matching 14b w/lockers
    17x8 wheelsw/4½bs with 39½ iroks

And i have reserved my 93 5.9 cummins complete powertrain from a guy i know

My questions started there ....

Power steering , power brake and pump ...

I need to have hydro on this truck .... What pump can i fit on the stock motor for now .... just to have brake and steering ??

Since the 715 will be converting diesel .... i want to swap an hydroboost in the first time !!!

I will be using a master from a C30 .... Van (www.vancopbs.com) told me that will be the best one for my brake setup.

And i have a brand new 10500 Milemarker hydro winch for this truck .... Will surely fit a real pump on the cummins but for now just have to be working for the brake and steering ...

Then my second questions is ..... i read that some steering box will almost be a bolt on at the place of the non power unit. Which one is the best ??

And yes i will post somes pictures in the mods procedures..........

The truck will also received a new canvas from military surplus and two weeks restoration procedures through a friend bodyshop !!

Now ... this is what the 715 look like .......

The only spot of rust is under the driver seat .. 8 in² of rotten floor pan ... paint chipping at the bottom of the cab and rocker ... but solid !! I think this was a great investment !!

Last edited by Kamikaze12volts; February 6th, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: pics inside
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

I think that i have answered one of my question ... steering box ... I have found one FSJ cherokee 1979 .... i'm waiting for pictures of it .... if not i can have a j10 1979 unit .... but more expensive !!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Power steering...heres a link that should give you what to look for in steering boxes:
    http://m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7806

As far as hydroboost...does that just run off a power steering pump? Can it run off the same one that you are using for steering?

Some people have mounted a power steering pump on the drivers side just above the alternator...,make your own bracket...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post

As far as hydroboost...does that just run off a power steering pump? Can it run off the same one that you are using for steering?

Some people have mounted a power steering pump on the drivers side just above the alternator...,make your own bracket...
    The pressurized fluid goes in the hydroboost first then the power steering .... So both are running from a stock pump

Thanks for the mounting location of the pump .... already have found somes pics in the tech zone !!!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

this one from a j10 1979 ...... seems to be a good donor ..... but it's not on the list ... does it will fit ?

Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

All the factory steering boxes in the Full Size Jeeps from 1974 to 1991 work. The only differeces I have heard of are that some applications used a bit stonger box...called a "76" box as there is a 76 cast on the housing.

Note that the M715 uses 3 of the 4 mount bolts these type units all have. You can run with 3 bolts or you can drill the 4th...it is preferred to use something inside of the frame from one side to the other and bolt clear through to get the strongest mount...best for large tires, springovers, etc.

We do have a page with 2 members mounts for power steering pumps on the 230 motor...one on the passenger side...requires a non stock fuel pump...
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...power_steering

We used to have a long post with pics that showed a real nice PS install with the 4th bolt...it may have been lost in our server crash back a while... cant find it anywhere...

We used to have a long post with pics that showed a real nice PS install with the 4th bolt...it may have been lost in our server crash back a while... cant find it anywhere...
    It maybe that because i have search all topic one by one this afternoon without really answers.

Will be fitting a GM pump with hydroboost, A c30 master and the fsj cherokee box !!!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze12volts View Post
    It maybe that because i have search all topic one by one this afternoon without really answers.

Will be fitting a GM pump with hydroboost, A c30 master and the fsj cherokee box !!!
    I used a 78 or 79 Wagoneer box and it fit perfectly without any modification. Even used the pitman arm that came on the box and didn't have to drill it.

The FSJ's all used a GM pump. You may have to make your own lines though with the hydroboost, because of routing and length.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Is this the one?

Bob Cowan's power steering pics

That'll work but there was another one, older, I thought it was on the temp site...maybe posted by bluesman2a, maybe not...anyway, it had close ups of the frame without the steering box on it yet but with the 4th hole drilled and all the reinforces in the frome, welded up and ground off...it might have been lost off the crashed version too...